I really want to rent a storefront to open an art studio where I will teach children and adults in this area, but i'd like to live above it with my

Asked by Tiedye4me, Philadelphia, PA Tue May 31, 2011

children in a 3 bedroom apt ~ any hope of finding this ideal set-up??

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


M.lobianco1, Home Buyer, Philadelphia, PA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
I have a storefront at 8th & Christian with three residential units above it; however, while the storefront is still available, the rental units are not.
0 votes
Stephminni, Home Buyer, Saint Clair Shores, MI
Wed Nov 14, 2012
check o.ut 1302 porter st =a duplex. safe area, across from a kids' dance studio. Frendly family area, 2 families recently moved in from high tax New jersey
0 votes
Charles Bald…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Sat Jul 2, 2011
Hi Artist-Entrepreneur,

Mixed use properties abound throughout South Philadelphia, however it is uncommon to have the entire building, both the commercial and the residential space available for lease at the same time in an area that is strategic to accomplish your goals. So plan on being both flexible and patient.

Some properties may have Zoning Use restrictions, so you have to do some homework on any selected property to insure that you will be able to conduct your art studio teaching activity.

In the meantime, have you written a pro-forma for your project? This is a highly recommended exercise that can bring welcomed clarity to your endeavor. The details of which are instrumental to your decision making in selecting a facility and operating it successfully throughout the duration of the lease.

Aside from providing organization to the ideas and merits your enterprise, the creation of a realistic financial model will be applauded long after you turn the key in the font door.

Please feel free to contact me for an informal consultation.

Charles Balducci 215.531.2000

Coldwell Banker Preferred (Avenue Arts)
0 votes
Bruce Lang, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Sat Jun 18, 2011
good luck...mt airy actuallyu has a few of these situations...financing is an issue. you also want to be sure to have the correct zoning to allow you to do these activities.
0 votes
Anna Maria V…, , Philadelphia, PA
Mon Jun 13, 2011
Hello Urban Artist,

I am a licensed PA real estate agent, but I have several investment properties, one of which is perfectly suited to what you would want to use it for. As Carol below stated, most suitable properties should have a C-2 (commercial) zoning. You can always go from a higher use to a lower use. It is much more difficult to go through the ZBA (Zoning Board of Adjustment) and L&I (Licenses & Inspections) to go from a lower use to a higher use.

I have a 3,000 square foot commercial buiilding which is absolutely ideal for what you would want. Please contact me on my cell phone so that we can discuss this furhter.

Anna Maria Vona
0 votes
Stephen Segu…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Tue May 31, 2011
Finding ideal and available commercial and residential spaces located in the same building can be quite difficult. I just ran a few searches in East South Philly to no avail. I found mixed-use properties without the vacancies you require and ones with innappropriate spaces (ok commercial space but small apartments, etc).

Have you considered renting the two spaces in very close proximity? Perhaps on the same block? This would greatly increase your odds of finding the two spaces with the features you require.

I would be happy to search these situations and others if you would like. I would only need to refine your search criteria (preferred locations, size requirements, price, etc.). Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this.

Steve Seguiti
Coldwell Banker Preferred
0 votes
Carol Diament, Agent, philadelphia, PA
Tue May 31, 2011
Yes. These types of buildings are often available. they are called mixed use and usually C-2 ccommercial zoning. From commercial you typically need a 25% down payment and the term of the mortgage is usually less than 30 years-- maybe 20 or 25. Call me if you want to discuss further. Carol Diament 215-260-1359.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more