I'm concerned about Tidal waves.

Asked by Al Rand, Grants Pass, OR Mon Aug 13, 2012

Answers

9
Bret Curtis, Agent, Brookings, OR
Thu Aug 16, 2012
What concerns do you have? Are you aware most of Brookings sits on a bluff some 70 feet + above sea level? Additionally, the entire town gradually migrates up and back into the hills/mountains behind the town. During the last Tsunami the only significant damage to our community was within the port facility (which is at sea level). I hope this helps....
Thanks. I wasn't aware how Brookings was layed out.
Flag Fri Aug 24, 2012
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sun Jan 27, 2013
No one mentioned Full Moons. Everyone around me gets really concerned about Full Moons. I can't figure it out? (smile)
They are beautiful and seen all over the world
Flag Mon Oct 27, 2014
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Thu Aug 16, 2012
me too.... + hurricanes, tornadoes & some of my neighbors...
IF YOU WANT…, , 97415
Sat May 24, 2014
Tidal Waves are like rad to surf on"
Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Sun Jan 27, 2013
Al, being concerned about natural disasters is not irrational. You did get some sound advice... if you're worried, live further back from the ocean, and at a greater height above sea level. All of South Florida is glued to the TV every time we get a hurricane warning... but Tsunamis are a much rarer phenomena. However, the Japanese have shown us that even when a major catastrophe occurs only rarely, much better to be prepared.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Sun Jan 27, 2013
I know Grant's Pass having lived less than 25 miles outside the city many years ago. You're fear is unwarranted, in my opinion given the distance from the ocean. but if you're truly concerned my advice would be to move further inland and higher up in terms of elevation. While the rivers there can and do flood particularly in the spring time, this isn't the same as a Tidal Wave which is caused by earthquakes off shore.
Kevin Guthrie, Home Buyer, Brookings, OR
Sun Jan 27, 2013
We are in a flood potential area being on the coast and there are buildings close enough to the water in some places to have water damage if there was something like a 40+ foot swell. Up the coast further is where they are greater danger cause they live almost right above the ocean level. We also have a large river thats prone to flooding during the heavy rainy season that doesn't bother anyone sept those living where you need only take 20 feet from the back door and look over the edge to the river. Ive seen full 70+ foot trees floating down that thing so it can be a bit dangerous.
Mon Aug 20, 2012
I am afraid of tornados" and of the heat!
anniedunn81, Home Buyer, Brookings, OR
Sun Aug 19, 2012
No matter where you live there are concerns, at least here, I am not concerned about gangs of thugs, or being mugged. I have no fear of walking my dog at night. I can see the stars at night because the air is clear from smog. I guess you have to pick your poision, Brookings is a haven for us after moving here from Kansas City, MO last year, where we feared tornados, we lived in a nice area but in some areas you knew not to travel there day or night, here there are no such areas. And like Bret said the last Tsunami did only minimal damage due to the way Brookings Harbor is situated, living anywhere has it's hazards, but while your living you can decide on your quality of life and here in Brookings the quality of life is excellent.