In My Neighborhood in 33445>Question Details

henry rich, Home Buyer in New York

I`m 53 can I still buy a condo in a55 community?

Asked by henry rich, New York Mon Apr 25, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


go a way from 55 years old crazy people. why this restrictions. are we free to live where we want? you give people a big reason to not come and live in FL.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 12, 2013
Really need to confirm with the HOA board. Often, you can buy it, but couldn't live there unless you met the age restrictions. You might be able to rent it for 2 years, but again, need to know association rules.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 14, 2012
Hi Henry,
there is a very good chance that you will be able to. It depends on the board decision. Many 55+ communities accept a small percentage of people who are under 55. When I show properties in 55+ communities I research first by talking to the president directly and reading the by-laws. to make sure the client will be accepted. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other question.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 14, 2012
Hi Henry,

I do not know about condo communities but in the mobile parks some are lenient. I have a listing available in Country Knolls 55 plus community for a fully renovated mobile home. Its in Pompano Beach however. Drywall including ceilings, ceramic, granite, screened patio with bar, master bath has walkin jacuzzi.

This community has made exceptions in the past and have allowed a few people 48 and up to purchase homes so you have a very good chance to be accepted.

If you like to view my listing it can be found here.…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 11, 2012
Possibly, depending on a particular communities rules, as long as the community maintains an 80% level of people 55 years or older then the other 20% may be less than 55. Housing developments intended for older persons may exclude children if those developments are occupied solely by persons 62 and older, OR if 80 percent of the units are occupied by at least one person 55 or older and there are policies and procedures published and adhered to demonstrating an intent to provide housing for persons 55 or older.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 10, 2012
There are communities in which you can buy but you will not be able to occupy it yourself until you are 55. It rentals are permitted in the complex (most do allow rentals - however some have waiting periods) it could be leased to someone over the age of 55.

Broker Associate, GRI
Lang Realty
9858 Clint Moore Road
Boca Raton, FL 33496
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 10, 2012
if you're not 55 there is no exception now if you have 1 month left and you could close early but you wont be able to set in until your reach 55 yrs old so 53 yr old will have to wait also it depend on the association .
good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 7, 2011
In 2 years if you are going to be the only owner.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 27, 2011
In most of the HOAs that I have seen at least one of the owners must be 55. Co-owners can be just about any age.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 25, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer