In My Neighborhood in 11207>Question Details

Lady, Other/Just Looking in 11207

I lost my job my apt is based on income who can I rturn to for help other than public asst.?

Asked by Lady, 11207 Thu May 28, 2009

In reading your question and talking it over with someone at HRA, which assist people looking for apartments, we both agree that there is not enough information about your problem.
Yes, you do not have an apartment but do you have a place to stay for now. If so, where? Do you need cash assistance or did you put away money to carry you for a while?
The best advice I can give without much more information is for you to call 311, explain that you need help and the nature of the help. They can point you to various agencies that can assist you. Some of these can start the process for you over the phone. Some information and applications etc are also online.
There are also things that you can do on your own. You can apply for cash assistance or food stamps. I help a friend a while back whose family had put him out. I explained to him how to apply for food stamps and cash assistance. He did both and is now back on his feet. It took a while but he made the moves and kept a positive attitude.
Since financial times have changed since then it maybe difficult to get the assistance that you need but the atmosphere is friendlier at these agencies, for the most part.
So make the call and give it a try.
I wish I could offer you more but that is all I can say based on the limited information.
If you don't want assistant then you will have to get another job or move in with a family member or friend until you get back on your feet. Also, you may want to call housing to ask about rent controlled apartments and give them your situation http://(
Web Reference: