In My Neighborhood in 12189>Question Details

don_ny_, Home Buyer in Watervliet, NY

I live across the river in Troy and now that fall is here and the leaves are gone from the trees, I can hear that incredibly loud train horn at all

Asked by don_ny_, Watervliet, NY Tue Nov 8, 2011

hours of the day and night. I live at least 1 mile (as the crow flies) from 1517 Ave A and that train horn wakes me up at night. I can only imagine living 1 block away from the train tracks where this home is situated?! How do residents deal with that darned train running 24/7/365?

Answers

3
I grew up next to incredibly loud church bells, from Saints Brigids. Whenever I had a friend sleep over, they would be knocked out of bed when the bells rand for 7am mass. My family and I slept like babies. The fact is, you get used to it. In time, you will too
I live very close to this house on the same street. the trains are not a issue, they only sound their horns near a crossing and we don't have any close. in fact the traffic on the next street is much louder than the trains and I have lived here almost 40 years. it a great area and its in north Colonie not watervliet thats only a mailing address.
You either get used to the sound or completely block it out. I live in NYC and my roommates hear the trucks coming up the road, sirens from the fire dept, airplane flying over head, etc. I only hear it when I choose to.
Try leaving a tv, radio or fan on at night, might help with the train horn.