I heard the cops in ventura are idiots & the saying "come on vacation and leave on probation return for violation" is true. Is it?

Asked by Kim Masterson-curci, Ventura, CA Sun Nov 13, 2011

? I want to move from Goleta closer to SFV but don't want to actually live in SFV. So how is Ventura?

Answers

8
John C. Page…, Home Buyer, Ventura, CA
Sun May 27, 2012
I have lived in Ventura for over 50 years and even when I spent a few years having to live in converted step van I was never hassled by Ventura P.D.. As long as you're not an ass they are good folks in my book. If you're going to act like an ass while on vacation it doesn't much matter where you go you're going to leave on probation.
thats very true.. actually my friend visiting me asked that question. i live in the area and told them myself the same thing you said.
Flag Thu Aug 1, 2013
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Nov 15, 2011
That sounds like a pretty funny saying albeit having been a SoCal beach boy all my life and having surfed for years from Santa Cruz to Cabo and Hawaii I have to say that Ventura is about one of the most laid back and friendly places I've visited. I don't know where you got this info but if I wasn't so in love with my home in Encinitas I'd be living somewhare on the coastline between Gaviota (North SB) and California Street.
Bonnie Sterl…, Agent, Simi Valley, CA
Mon Nov 14, 2011
Hi Miss Kitty, I think you would love the Conejo Valley. There are beautiful neighborhoods and ecclectic ones too. There is Dos Vientos in Newbury Park, North Ranch in Westlake Village and Lang Ranch in Thousand Oaks to name a few of the more prestigous neighborhoods, like you might be accustomed to coming from Santa Barbara, however, we totally lack the amazing architecture you have.

My husband serves on Ventura County Sheriffs Search and Rescue so he has frequent opportunities to talk to all Ventura County based law enforement. Ventura County doesnt have cops that are idiots but if you are looking for strong expectations of following the law and people who actually serve their jail sentences, then Ventura County is a good place to be. In comparison, I recently sold a home to an LAPD officer who told me stories of how quickly they have to release what I would consider unsafe and considerable offenders of public safety because they lack the space and manpower to properly prosecute and house people who dont follow the law in LA County and I have heard the same for Fresno County.

Your property and family are seemingly more safe where the police are diligent and supported with funding. That is the case in Ventura County. I am a decent law abiding citizen and I love living in this county. Please let me know if I can help you decide if it's right for you too.
Heidi Golff, Agent, Ventura, CA
Sun Nov 13, 2011
Yes, Miss Kitty, I've heard that many times over for years. However, not because the "cops are idiots", but because they are the complete opposite. Should anyone wish to buy or rent in a community where crime runs rampant because the police department is disorganized and under-staffed in order to either 1) commit crime without consequences or 2) live in a neighborhood where the police allow criminals to victimize you with wild abandonment, then may I suggest that Ventura is not the right location for them.

Somehow, I don't feel like this is what you are asking about. I believe you are referring to how the entire city feels about people who come here from out of town and act like.....well.... idiots! If you lived here - and I hope you call me about that - you'd be happy to have this team of protectors on your side. The key word here is "vacation". You live in Santa Barbara. I lived in Beverly Hills for years. Tell me......how do these police departments take care of the citizens within their borders as opposed to those passing through? How would you like them to handle the largest investment you'll ever make and your personal safety?
Rob van Haar…, , Ventura, CA
Sun Nov 13, 2011
Fortunately I have traveled the world extensively, at periods for 8 months out of the year, together with my wife. I grew up in Europe and I have lived in California for the last 28 years. I can not imagine finding a better place to live and raise a family other then perhaps Nort-Eastern AustraliaI

Santa Barbara was my hometown for 12 years where police was very abrasive, more than I ever experienced in my European eyes. And after coming back from the Bay Area I moved back to Coastal San Buenaventura with some Hillside properties that remind you of the French Riviera and Beach properties that are ON SALE compared with any other Coastal communities! I now live here for many years with now 2 children at age 5 and 8 and I could not be happier about where I am! Perhaps you can eliminate your fears first by finding out about the true crime statistics!
You got to take a tour and discover it for yourself!

Look at the pictures on my first page of my website to get a taste!
http://www.walkrightin.net
Feel free to contact me for some guidance!

Best regards
Rob van Haaren,
Real Estate Consultant
805-804-7035
Web Reference:  http://www.walkrightin.net
Barry Shapiro, Agent, Camarillo, CA
Sun Nov 13, 2011
Maybe you should consider moving to Westlake Village so your commute to the San Fernando Valley is not so far. Most cities in Ventura County use the Sheriff's Department. Camarillo is a 'safer' city than Ventura, it's smaller and still enjoys the coastal breezes without the morning overcast fog conditions.
Jeff Smith, Agent, Poway, CA
Sun Nov 13, 2011
Miss Kitty -
I grew up on Santa Barbara and still have family up there, I have never heard about this?
Jeff
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sun Nov 13, 2011
How can we possibly answer a question like that?
Did you actually hear that from someone that you respect?

Good luck and may God bless