I have been to PT many times. I usually see the smoke from the paper mill blowing back towards land from the ocean. I am wondering if Diamond Point

Asked by Noel Leone, Pasadena, CA Tue Sep 21, 2010

and all the houses directly in back of the paper mill are subjected to the smell of the mill every day. I understand that in certain weather conditions, the whole town can smell the mill, and I am prepared to live with that, but not on a daily basis. What can you tell me? Thank you.

Answers

5
Dorothy Coak…, Home Buyer, Davis, CA
Wed Oct 10, 2012
We have a house in the hills just above North Beach near Ft. Worden. We use it year round and its a rare occasion when the smell even reaches us. Most of the time the air is crystal clear and the prevailing smell is that of cedars. Don't discount PT as a retirement community because of the mill. PT Paper Mill is a good neighbor and contributes plenty of seed money to local activities including "The Wooden Boat Festival," "The PT Film Fest," "The Rhody Parade" and the "kinetic Sculpture Race."
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Tue Sep 21, 2010
I lived in PT for 16 years &, yes, it is rare to smell the mill in town. As to the area you are talking about, it does smell very slightly most days, & very strongly once a week or so. If you are think about moving there, you should come spend a couple of weeks in the area and check it our yourself on a daily basis. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Phagan, Home Buyer, Fernley, NV
Mon Feb 17, 2014
I agree, the smell in town is rare. However the area in front of the mill and in the Kala Point area is caustic on a weekly basis. If you are sensitive, read articles from the local paper from the past 3-4 years about the particulates. Make an informed decision as to where to live. Especially if you have asthma or an other breathing issues. Port Townsend is a great place!
I'm not sure about "caustic" as the paper mill does meet federal standards. But, Phagan, your advice is good. One definitely needs to do a bit of homework before buying, but that advice is uniformly true wherever one chooses to live (or buy.)
Flag Mon Feb 17, 2014
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Sat Sep 29, 2012
I love Port Townsend & if you want to talk about it, I would be happy to do so any time. My phone number is 206-841-9976.

Jirius Isaac
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Sat Sep 29, 2012
Of course they told you it was worse then it really is because they do not want any more people moving there! I am a cook & have a good nose & the whiff that is very infrequent in town is barely perceptible.