I file a bankrucpty in 2010 I haven"t paid mortage in 3yrs how much time do I have in the house?

Asked by Missy, 48219 Sat Aug 6, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


, ,
Sat Aug 13, 2011
Hi Missy
Consider yourself luck that you've been able to stay there this long - normally it's a year or so after you stop making payments. But like the others said, lenders have a huge backlog of homes in various stages of foreclosure so who knows when they will get to yours.

I wouldn't open up any can of worms by contacting your lender. Might as well stay as long as you can.

What I will say is that there is a process towards evicting you from the house. Whenever that day comes whether its tomorrow, next week, or next year, prepare yourself by beginning to build your credit back up and saving up some money to cover things like moving expenses and a security deposit on a rental. You'll most likely have at least 15-30 days after notice to get out of there, and they may even offer to give you a cash for keys offer if you keep up the home well and leave it clean and in good shape.

In the meantime enjoy the free rent and prepare for when that time comes. Good luck!
0 votes
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Aug 6, 2011
Missy you should probabily contact your bankruptcy attorney, i have seen banks that are at leats a year behind in foreclsoure proceedings. You could contact your bank but that could also bring your case to the front instea dof lost at teh bottom, it is up to you if you want to live with the anxiety of always waiting for that notice or to move on with your life and get some security and peace. If you contact the bank you could also ask for a cash for keys where they pay you to move within a specified time, usually 30 days which could help you get your new start
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes
Tom Lipinski, Agent, Shelby Township, MI
Sat Aug 6, 2011
I would say that you are past the time to leave, but there may be more to this matter. You have choices, keep living in the house or contact the mortgage lender and ask them for a status. You could also contact your bankruptcy attorney for some legal advice.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more