In My Neighborhood in 60616>Question Details

Kris15, Other/Just Looking in 60616

I am moving to the Lake Meadows Apartments in a week. I am just curious to know if this is a good area and safe for two young girls to live?

Asked by Kris15, 60616 Tue Feb 21, 2012

Is this area safE? It is near the 3 CTA bus...and located around 32nd and MLK..please help!

Answers

12
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 21, 2012
I am approaching the end of my 1 year lease and this was an EXPERIENCE. I moved into Lake Meadows because I was impressed with the nice clean layout of the grounds and the perks such as free cable, free utilities and free parking, and the fact that it was close to downtown.. But it soon turned into a nightmare!!! They show you this wonderful model apartment and its NOTHING like the real thing.... I quickly found out they must offer all these perks in order to get you sucked into this mess.
The neighborhood was ok to deal with, but there were 2 shootings in the past year, and several people were robbed in the parking lot of lake meadows. The schools include a combination of kids from various apartment complexes in the area, so its a mixture of rowdy kids and kids from higher incomes thrown into one environment.
As for the apartment, the lobby was always nice, but once you stepped off the elevator, it was like stepping into a project building, the old metal doors are a shock to your eyes, and smell on each floor is terrible. my building regularly smelled of various foul odors, and on a good day I only have 20-30 mosquitos and spiders in my house. They finally installed screens in the bedroom windows a few weeks ago, but we still get a few bugs in the kitchen and living room windows. The kitchen cabinets are not wood, they are old metal cabinets that have been been painted over soo many times, that they dont close properly. and the applicances are soo outdated that my great grandma has this exact same stove at her house. honestly, I didnt know these appliacnes were even still in existance. The bathrooms are soo small, I could barely fit a bathroom rug in the bathroom and the plumbing is crazy- my toilet stops up 4-5 times per week. The walls are soo thin that when someone is knocking on the neighbors door, it sounds like they are knocking on our door. Every single morning we can hear the upstairs neighbors yelling at their kids to get up for school. One morning, my entry door was stuck and I couldnt get out of my apartment to go to work. I had to wait until they came and removed the entire door. The heat is controlled by the building, so we have radiators, which are really hard to get used to, if you are used to having central air/heat. They keep the heat on until May 15th, so on those hot summer nights, its practically hot and sticky in your apartment. The most outrageous thing was the air conditioner rule. The windows are soo soo old and outdated that management will only allow certain air conditioners in your apartment. So, In order to have AC in your apartment, you must purchase an air conditioner from Lake Meadows for $250.00 and then you must pay them 100.00 fee to install it. The security staff puts tickets on your car for any given reason, although you dont have to pay tickets, they are placed as part of your record with management and it is stuck on your car glass and very very difficult to remove. So, imagine getting one of these on your car every week after car wash. Its almost like removing glue from your windows, A HEADACHE.. Even though there are over 100 apartments in this building, the laundry room only has 6 washers and dryers, so at any givin time, one or two people will be using all the washers in the laundry room and then security locks the laundryroom at midnite, so you cant even go try to catch a washer in the middle of the nite while everyone else is asleep.. In addition, you must purchase a laundry card for $3.00 before you can begin to load money on it to wash your clothes. So basically you pay $3.00 for the privilage of using the laundry room. The funny part is, I received a letter 6 months after I moved in, asking me to renew my lease for an additional year. They were trying to lock me for another round on this roller coaster. They said if I didnt renew my lease now, the rent will go up an extra 100.00. So I refused and guess what its now 3 months later, and I just got my letter saying my rent is going up and I must notify them if I am moving within 30 days. Although The staff is really nice overall the living experience is not what I expected at all.
if I was moving two children into an area I would go to the area and walk around with my children and determine if I felt my children were safe as they are my children and I would be responsible for them I would not get on a web site and ask anybody that answers if they would take care of my children's safety..
Web Reference: http://www.joeschiller.net
The easiest way to determine the safety of any area, and how you might feel there is to talk to neighbors. Look for people in the lobby of the building, at the bus stop, or in a nearby store. It's very rare, especially in Chicago, that somebody doesn't want to talk about their neighborhood. And they have NOTHING to sell. If there are problems you'll hear about it. And if the news/gossip is overrated you'll also hear about that.

That should save you from any further onslaught of generic answers that will do you no good. Now get off the computer and and go chat up some new friends in Lake Meadows.
We as agents cant comment on this sort of thing. If you want an opinion on it, use your own. Go there at all different times of the day and night and on weekends. Only you know whats right for you. Best of luck.
Web Reference: http://AmericorpRe.com
You need to contact the police station civic organization and schools in the area and acquire this information. You can drive around different times of the day to check out the activity of the area. Realtors are
prohibited from steering or giving their opinions on areas. Debbie Bergthold-Smith Classic Real Estate
What do you mean beware of everything !?
It's a great location to rent. Just beware of everything around you. You can get everywhere within minutes. Many schools in the area. Shopping, beaches, parks, bike path, etc. You'll love it!
You can't always trust the opinions of others because it's usually based on lack of information. If you were attracted to the location there was a reason why. I do know that the mentioned location is close to transportation and easy to get to and from downtown. It's also close to the lakefront, a brand new boat harbor and beach. It's also great if you are into cycling.
As the other Realtor mentioned check with the police department and follow the links she provided. There is crime in all areas. It's a big city. If you choose to go forward, enjoy!
Well we went to visit the apartment and the area. And it seemed nice so we did the application. But after people had told me that isn't a great area so I am just curious.
Call the Chicago Police and ask them. That is in their job description
Why are you moving if you are not sure what the condition is? If possible go and visit the complex and or drive by the units and different times of the day. This should give you an idea. Also, go visit a local police station and ask them.