How safe is it over in the Petworth area for a single female? How is the public transportation in that area also?

Asked by Tracy, Los Angeles, CA Mon Aug 30, 2010

Answers

5
Lanre Folayan, Agent, Washington, DC
Tue Dec 24, 2013
You can also check out my latest Petworth DC Real Estate Market Report here http://activerain.com/blogsview/4272911/petworth-16th-street…
missdc30, Home Buyer, Washington, DC
Tue Sep 3, 2013
I currently live in Petworth and been here for 4 years now. I'm a single female with 2 kids...I love it here. The people are friendly and helpful. I feel 100% safe here...I haven't had any issues with safely. My youngest son goes out and plays basketball with the neighborhood kids....no problems. I live closer to Rock Creek Church Rd. Its normally quiet around here, people are shocked when they come by how quiet it is.

This neighborhood has changed a lot, I grew up on 13th and Emerson street and remember how crazy it use to be on this side of Georgia Ave, but it changed for the good and I'm loving it.

But of couse this is still the city, so just like any other city there are more crime then the suburbs...that's not going to change so you should always 'watch your back' regardless.
Daniel Johns…, , Mitchellville, MD
Mon Aug 30, 2010
Public transportation is good in the Petworth area. Plenty of commuting options in DC in general.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Mon Aug 30, 2010
I'd talk to the folks living in the area, rather than the police.

It's been a while since I've lived in D.C.--though I did live in the Logan Circle area, which isn't far from there. Public transportation ought to be pretty good. It's relatively close to a number of Metro stops, and plenty of bus routes.

And while I can't really comment on the safety or living conditions, I do know a number of people who live in Petworth and seem quite happy there.

Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Aug 30, 2010
If you are concerned about safety, the local police department is your best source of information--consider a visit/call and ask all your questions, they'll gladly help and you will have heard all firtshand. If you are not familiar with the area, do visit more than once and at different times of day, look at everything that is important to you and then make a determination, will your comfort level be reached--real estate professionals are prohibited from "steering" enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods, complexes, etc.