How do you find out what school district you are in? Are they flexible- could I send my child to Gun or los Altos high school?

Asked by frich, San Francisco, CA Wed Mar 28, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Erica Glessing’s answer
Erica Glessi…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Wed May 2, 2012
In Palo Alto it is going to be Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD). Here is the link to the street-by-street school-by-school directory:…

That should give you a look at the elementary, middle and high school on a street-by-street basis.

Note that many schools are impacted, so simply buying a home in a school's attendance area does not always guarantee enrollment into that school. I'm a PAUSD grad from Addison, Jordan and Paly but don't live there now!

1 vote
Andrea Wince…, Agent, Milpitas, CA
Fri Mar 30, 2012
Palo Alto school district would be a good resource, you can find it at this link:
However, sometimes it is best to call the district just in case their have been any boundary changes not yet reflected on their website. Kind regards.
1 vote
Marcy Moyer, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Wed Mar 28, 2012
You can find out what school your child would go to by going to the school district website. For Palo Alto that would be You can not transfer from one district to another as a general rule. However, within a district you can request a transfer from one school to another. So if you live in Palo Alto you can request Gunn or Paly, but the request is on a space available basis. If you live in Los Altos or Mountain View you can request one of those schools but again it is only granted on a space available basis. To determine which school your children would go to in LA or Mt View go to

Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Web Reference:
1 vote
Mindy, Home Owner, 94306
Mon May 14, 2012
I live in Palo Alto, therefore I will provide the information on Palo Alto Unified School District aka PAUSD. In theory, it is possible to transfer schools since there is a "process" defined in the district office to request transfer. However, many schools -- and particularly schools with highest GPA -- are experiencing an overflow in enrollment and as a result, had lotteries to draw *out* kids from their neighborhood school boundary to be placed into other PAUSD schools. As a result, there are no guarantees that you will get placement in the school of your choice any more.

It is true with a few Elementary schools and my neighbors with high school going kids tell me it's been the case with Gunn High for past few years. A tough fact of being a Palo Alto homeowner is that your child is not guaranteed a spot for being in your own neighborhood school, therefore I would not base my property purchase decision based on that assumption at all.

My close friend tried to get a transfer for her child last year -- for a legitimate reason for her and her kid. However, she was given a lot of "attitude" at the district office, and was treated quite condescendingly. She decided to drop the ball but that should illustrate the extent to which the administration can act rude in such circumstances.
0 votes
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu Mar 29, 2012

"How do you find out what school district you are in?"

If you find a property you really like and want to see its attendance area schools (Public, Private and Daycares) THE BEST and most easy-to-use website I have come across is

One very useful feature is that it shows how far a school is from the address you enter and API scores.

Before making an offer you should call the School District to CONFIRM the schools the property will feed to!

"could I send my child to Gun or los Altos high school?"

You can certainly make the request; when it might actually happen is another matter.

0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Mar 29, 2012
Many people make the mistake of assuming a home is within a certain district or act on the advice of others. This tact can be dangerous because many families find themselves in the wrong area to attend the chosen district.

The best way to be certain on a location's specific school district is to contact the district office and provide them with the address. They will be able to give you the most reliable information.

Good luck,

0 votes
Hassan Sabba…, Agent, Campbell, CA
Wed Mar 28, 2012
Click school finder on this site and type your address:

You might want to call school or district and they will check it for you.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Francis Roll…, Agent, Los Altos, CA
Wed Mar 28, 2012

for Palo Alto, you may find this helpful:…

and for Los Altos, you may find this page helpful too:…

'hope this helps,
0 votes
Lynne Mercer, Agent, Palo Alto, CA
Wed Mar 28, 2012
Click on "Schools and Sites""
Click on "School Finder"
Type the name of the street you will live on (do not include street number)
The program will show you which school attendance area you are in. If there is more than one for that street, they will give you the street numbers that correspond to each school.

It is very easy and user friendly. But beware. Even if you are in a particular school attendance area, if that school is full, your child may need to attend a different school. So to confirm, go in person to talk to the people at the school administration building. As for transferring from one school to another, you do need to talk to them about this.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more