How do I make improvements to the home I am buying without raising property taxes or having to get a CO?

Asked by Kellie Morris, Bayport, NY Sat Sep 18, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Theresa Pugl…, Agent, Smithtown, NY
Fri Nov 11, 2011
Are you planning to sell your home and that is why you want to fix it up!
A good practice is always contact your local bldg dept in your township they will tell you what improvements need permits.
Asking your local realtor what improvements will give the greatest increase-value vs cost!

If you are getting your home ready to sell then getting a Home inspection first is a good idea.
Common practice by a lot of realtors is putting on a "home buyers Warrenty" when they take a listing, which is an extensive inspection, peace of mind for both seller & buyer.

I hope you will consider giving a thumbs up.
All the Best, Theresa
1 vote
Kim Vitale, Agent, Blue Point, NY
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Hi Kellie!

I have attatched a link for Islip Town that has instructions and/ or the guidlines for the renovations and/ or additions that you may be planning, that require a permit. Your best bet is to contact Islip Town and ask them about the taxes. The best of luck to you! Feel free to contact me if you should need further advise.
1 vote
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Sun Oct 3, 2010
My first thought is to wonder whether you are planning to sell your home and that is why you want to fix it up! Besides checking with your local bldg. dept. for info about what improvements need permits, I would also get the opinion of several realtors who might be ones that you can interview early for listing the house, and ask them what improvement will give you the greatest increase in value for your buck! I would also ask the realtors for some referrals for pest inspectors to come and check for dry rot and termites, because it is a waste of time to get a house painted and then find out there was dry rot on some of the trim boards or elsewhere and then you have to go back and do touchups! I hope you will consider giving us all a thumbs up for taking the time to put our two cents in! Best, Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Sep 19, 2010
It's always best to check with the town before making any improvements--see if the improvements you had in mind do need a permit--then go from there.
0 votes
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Sun Sep 19, 2010
The issue of raising the propety taxes will depend upo whether what you're doing will increase the assessed value of your home. Simply home improvements like painting, new floors, carpets, etc. will probably not change the assessed value of you home. Before doing any renovations go down to your local town hall and inquire as to what will possibly change the assessed value and/or will require any additional COs. Good luck with your purchase. Feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance. My office is in the Bayport area.

Ralph Windschuh
Certified Buyer Representative
Senior Real Estate Specialist
Associate Broker
Century 21 Princeton Properties
In The Top 2% of Century 21 Agents Nationwide!
0 votes
Ian A. Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Sat Sep 18, 2010
Some of the best things that you can do are the following: Paint, trim, landscaping, changing out light and faucet fixtures, new flooring(carpet/hardwood), and bath vanities. Some towns do not require permits for switching out kitchen cabinets and counter tops(you'll have to check with yours). The aforementioned improvements can literally transform a house and you won't even recognize it afterward. In addition, these are low cost repairs and you can do them yourself. Hope that helps.
0 votes
Nunzio Zappo…, Agent, Easthampton, MA
Sat Sep 18, 2010
Not all improvments raise taxes and getting a CO for imporvements needing one, well, you should get it now because you will need it later and later it could be disasterous ! Besides if you get involved in a large project you will want protection from the town and codes involved.
Contact me As I provide services as a licensed contractor providing handyman services as well as Real Estate Sales. Once I see what you want to do I could better determine your best course of action.
0 votes
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sat Sep 18, 2010
You're asking Realtors this question? The answer is to file for work permits and get your C of O's and save yourself a lot of heartache and grief when you want to sell.

If you check with the town about the improvements you wish to make, you might find that it will not affect your taxes to the extent you are imagining.

Realtors cannot give you advice on how to avoid legal requirements.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more