How can I update my property to show the secondary dwelling (guest house) 999 sq ft addition completed in 2007 and correct errors in your listing?

Asked by Gary Vondran, Los Altos, CA Thu Jan 6, 2011

The Santa Clara County Planning Dept required that I have a seperate address for the secondary dwelling for emergency reponse purposes as a requirement for a building permit in 2006. The address of 1907 Quail Meadow Road, Los Altos, Ca 94024 was assigned to the same parcel # 331 13 086 which is also the main residence at 1905 Quail Meadow Road. Thus I have two addresses 1905 & 1907 QMRd posted on each dwelling on the same parcel..
The parcel is zoned single family 1 acre where I own my parcel of 20,820 sq.ft. along with 4 open spaces as tennants in common that total an additional 27,579 sq ft for the total 48,399 sq ft minimum acre. Does your market value reflect the 4 open spaces in lot size?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Bryan Robertson’s answer
Bryan Robert…, Agent, Los Altos, CA
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Hi Gary,

You'll need to call the county assessors office to ask them to adjust the assessed value of the home to include the new guest house. If you have lots that aren't included in the APN you want you'll have to merge the lots together so that they all have one APN. That's not hard to do and I can help outline the process to you. I've done subdivisions and accretion (merging) is simply the reverse process.

As for valuation, an acre in the Country Club area is worth about $1.8 million right now. Your overall valuation would be based on the value of your home plus that land value. If you'd like a more accurate assessment, send me an email or call and I'll be happy to help - no obligation.

0 votes
Katalin Horv…, , Los Altos, CA
Thu Jan 6, 2011
Hi Gary,

This is the problem with automated searches and property "evaluations". Your property is unique and impossible to compare to others without a thorough analysis. If you own the open space lots as tenant-in-common, as you said, I can only assume you own certain fraction of those lots with others and might not be possible to add them to enlarge your lot No. 86.
The secondary dwelling requires another adjustment in value. If you are preparing to sell your properties, it would serve your best interest to contact a real estate agent experienced in marketing unique properties.

If you have any other questions I could help you with, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Katalin Horvath
Broker Associate
Coldwell Banker Los Altos Office
Web Reference:
0 votes
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Thu Jan 6, 2011

Thanks for your post.

Trulia's valuation program seldom includes separate unimproved lots in their valuation even if owned by the same owner because, of course, the lots are separate and there is no requirement that the separate lots be included in the sale of the home. As I look at Trulia's listing for this home, I see that the property lists only 29,000 square feet, so I am assuming that maybe one of the four unimproved parcels may be included in this square footage.

In order for the four unimproved lots to be included in the valuation of the home located at 1907 and 1905 Quail Meadow, you would need to petition the Town of Los Altos for a lot line adjustment to annex the four parcels into the main home parcel. Talk with the Town Planners to see how to apply for this adjustment. Once the adjustment is granted, then the property will show up on all searches as being the larger 49,000 square foot lot.

In the meantime, if you go to your home's description page here on Trulia, you'll see an "edit this listing" button to the right of the address that you may use to make changes to the Trulia listing.

Good luck! And if you ever want to relist your home or need more information about sales in the area, please feel free to contact me!

Grace Morioka, SRES
Area Pro Realty
Tel (408) 426-1616
Listings Starting at 1% for Sellers, Commission Rebates for Buyers!
0 votes
Andrea Wince…, Agent, Milpitas, CA
Thu Jan 6, 2011
I'm not sure if they'll be able to fix that but here's a feedback link where you might want to inquire:
If you would like me to email you the public county records reports for both your addresses, you may contact me through my Trulia profile. Kind regards.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Jan 6, 2011
Keep in mind that some online information does feed from public records, and if those records are not updated, errors appear--in any event, if your property is currently listed with an agent, he/she can make any updates, just ask--or consider directly contacting Trulia's customer service department under the Help tab, or flag the listing.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
In My Neighborhood in Popular Los Altos Neighborhoods

Email me when…

Learn more