How can I find sales of comparable homes in my neighborhood?

Asked by Nellrussell, 07208 Thu Apr 1, 2010

Doing a tax appeal and need to find homes comparable to mine which have sold in the last two years.

Answers

5
Tim Ambrose, Agent, Castro Valley, CA
Fri Apr 2, 2010
Hi Nellrussell,

Are you still in contact with the agent that sold you the home? He/She would be a good place to start.

I hope this helps!

tim
Jack Vollenb…, Agent, Flemington, NJ
Fri Apr 2, 2010
Hi Nellrussell,

There's one more source that has not been brought up: Have an appraiser do either an appraisal of your home, or they can do a Broker Price Opinion as well if you want a less expensive alternative. A Comparable Market Analysis biggest weakness is in who prepares it. A realtor may have an interest in slanting the value opinion one way or the other. An appraiser doesn't as they are an uninterested third party. By the way, if this particular search is for a tax appeal, you may end up having to need an actual appraisal anyway. And tax appeal appraisals are somewhat of a specialty and often come at a higher price.

Hope that helps,

Jacobus "Jack" Vollenberg
RE Appraiser - Vollenberg Appraisers
Realtor/REO Asset Manager
Bridgewater Realty
Vollenberg@iname.com
Office (908) 968-0336
Cell (973) 590-0142
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Thu Apr 1, 2010
I agree with the others. Have a Realtor do a CMA (or as Angie puts it a mini-CMA). And Jeanne explains the motivation.

You might also search online, though that'll take some effort. Here's a link to the tax records search: http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin/prc6.cgi?menu=index&am…

Often, sites like Zillow are useful for pulling up recent sales, though often they're not really comparable. You'd have to sort through them. And even then--and the same applies to tax records--you won't know whether there were "seller concessions" that might have lowered the actual price even further.

Audeliz Angie…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Thu Apr 1, 2010
Nell Russell,

I agree with Jeanne in that you should find an agent that is resourceful, tech savvy and an agent that understand your wants and needs. Are you just looking to buy, sell or both?

The type of information you are looking for can be found on Trulia. On Trulia's main page, I typed in my home address, which has a public record of when I purchased it, which was within the past 4 years (not sure if trulia documents sales from up to 4 years ago or 25 years ago). I believe that since Trulia is tied into the Multiple Listing Service (MLS), which houses sales from 12 years ago, it might find recent sales data from within that time frame 1-12 years.

In any case, once you type in your address, click on recently sold tab, then look for the tiny link that says view details and then click on the tab that says comparables.

This is one way, but a more reliable way would be to allow my company to provide you with a free miniCMA based on details you provide over the phone, face to face or by email of which over the phone and face to face is more reliable than email, but I can comply with your wishes.

Have a good day!
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Thu Apr 1, 2010
Hi Nell, sorry to beat the "find a good agent to help you" drum, but this is just what you should do. I welcome inquires like this and am happy to help by providing the information because I know that it is an opportunity that may reap rewards at some future date when you may be looking fo an agent to sell your homes. Find yourself an agent with that perspective in your area and you should have the info you need. And then when the time comes to sell, reward that agent with your consideration.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com