Do I need a business license to lease my second home?

Asked by Novice Landlord, Hemet, CA Tue Feb 9, 2010

I have a second home in the City of Hemet that I just leased using a property manager. I was told that I need business license for having a rental property. It's only one house and I pay taxes as an income property. Can anyone advise me about the business license?

Answers

3
Matthew Bart…, Agent, Glendora, CA
Tue Feb 9, 2010
Hi Novice,

Many Cities do infact require that you have a business license to rent or lease your property. However, every City is different. I would recommend that you visit your local City Hall and inquire with them. Best of luck!

Matt
Kathy Weber, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Tue Feb 9, 2010
Was the property in an area that was zoned for business? Many areas in Hemet are older and they may have been zoned in a "previous life" for business, but are now residential. I heard of this in older areas of Long Beach where business' were demo'd and then a new residential tract was built.

Simple enough. Go to the County of Riverside or City of Hemet and have them look up your address to see what the records say. If you're using and paying for a Property Management Company, have them do it. They can access information faster. They should know this info. if they're leasing properties out in that area anyway.

Web Reference:  http://www.weberhomes.info
Grace Hudson, Agent, Canyon Lake, CA
Tue Feb 9, 2010

I have never heard of such a thing. The person that told you this is he/she the property manager you hired? Anyway, I don't believe you need a business license to rent out your own home. If you were becoming a property manager for other people's homes than I can see where you would need one but to rent your own home out I don't believe there is any such need. Good luck and if you ever decide to sell your home please let me know. As you can see from my profile page I specialize in the Hemet area. Have a wonderful day.

Grace Rosenberger
Tarbell, Realtors
lyonrose1@hotmail.com
DRE #01295350