Can I sue the bank that is not taking proper care of an abandoned property that is next to my property?

Asked by Watchinurmove2, 11580 Sat May 26, 2012

The property has been vacant for 5 years. Now squatters or possible dealers maybe getting ready to live there. The police have been called 9 times, but they can't ever catch the culprits. These individuals venture forth a night, or when I am at work. I want to take legal action. My family's safety is at risk.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue May 29, 2012
Consider reporting the property to the town; for any necessary legal advice consult with an attorney.
1 vote
Eleanor Sams…, Agent, Valley Stream, NY
Mon Dec 3, 2012
Are you talking about Valley Stream? If so you can always call the code or file a formal complaint at the court house. I have seen severe fines given out for small offenses that affect quality of life in this community. Please do not continue to live in fear of your safety. Take action. If you are still not sure what to do please give me a call at 646 201 0564 I will guide you to the correct officials that will help you with this problem.
0 votes
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Sat May 26, 2012
Where is the village in this?
There are usually laws set in the village so that a property is taken care of, and if not there are
services that the village will do, like cut the lawn etc. and put the bill to the current owner, if that is the

I would contact the village first and see what means they have.
Sorry about the situation y ou find yourself in.

I am wondering if the village health department and animal control is not taking care of RATS
Iknow that several suburban villages do take care of rats..... That would be my first call.....

Mice is another story, but rats I think they do check where they are nesting, they double check if they are still using the hide out, and then
they put poison to kill them....

Hope this helps.
0 votes
Karen Gilbert, Agent, Vail, CO
Sat May 26, 2012
Check out this clip from 9 news in Denver:
which is about a bank owned property that is a health hazard. It's different scenario, but maybe you can get your local government to contact the bank to stir things up.
Also contact your congressman and senator. They are incredibly valuable resources who have access to the banks' CEO - get both to make calls for you.
0 votes
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sat May 26, 2012
Anyone can sue anyone else. Would the bank be held negligent? That's a question for an attorney.

You can certainly ask a Realtor to check on the current legal status of the property to ascertain what institution may truly hold responsibility.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more