Fedesha, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Best place to do some REAL stargazing (astronomy)

Asked by Fedesha, Los Angeles, CA Wed Nov 30, 2011

I'm moving to LA and as a keen amateur astronomer I would like to know what are good areas/neighbourhoods to do some REAL star gazing? I would love to find something up a hill with limited light pollution. Topanga maybe? I have about 850-900K.

Answers

11
Renee Kische’s answer
Fedesha:

With over 200+ days of sunshine a year, L.A. is a great place to see the night sky...often. Aside from getting outta town when the city lights don't distract you from the Milky Way, you can connect with the Griffith Observatory's Sky Report at (http://www.griffithobservatory.org/skyreport.html) to know when you may want to take a drive out of town and/or find out when the telescope is open to the public. P.S. the volunteers at the Observatory are an incredible resource so they would most likely be the best resource for the best spots in and around L.A.

Keep your feed on the ground and your head in the stars....

Stay connected,
Renee Kische
Keller Williams-Hollywood Hills
323.377.7976
renee@bestLAliving.com
Web Reference: http://www.bestLAliving.com
Hi Fedesha;
As you can see, you are repeatedly getting the same answers about areas outside of the main (light filled) communities in LA. But you knew that already. I'd like to offer you my services to talk about marrying the area you choose to live with your hobby, in the best possible way. Let's talk.
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
REALTOR, 00588885, ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) (310) 800-2954
http://www.thebremnergroup.com
Accredited Buyer Representative|Certified Distressed Property Expert |Pre-Foreclosure Specialist Certified
I want you to know that I appreciate any referrals from friends and associates who may be in the market to buy or sell real estate. You can count on me giving them the same high-quality service I provide to all of my clients.
I would love to ask you a few astronomy questions, if you would, email me directly. I was watching History channel & they were talking about a planet Nibiru coming our way, I figure that's impossible, I can see Jupiter & Venus, if there was some other huge planet approaching us wouldn't we see it clearly in the night sky or at twilight or do I need to ask my Aussie clients to look up in the sky for me?

Shoot me an email directly, I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
The hills ranging East from La Crescenta all the way across to the Monrovia area are great. Your premier view, aside from backyard gazing, would be to access Mt. Wilson Observatory (with their 60" telescope). Here is their link:
http://www.mtwilson.edu/60in.php
Griffith Park Observator. Without a doubt this will be like Disneyland for an amateur astronomer. Best, Joshua Rabinovitz.
Hello Fedesha:

One of the big challenges in the Greater Los Angeles area for serious star-gazing/astronomy is urbanized light polllution. Topanga is a wonderful area where you will avoid this for the most part but you will also deal with higher home prices and long work commuting times, unless you work from home.

The center of local astronomy is really in the Pasadena area, home to JPL, Caltech, and the Carnegie Observatories, while minutes from the world famous Mt. Wilson Observatory. Pasadena itself suffers from light pollution, but the wonderful foothill community directly north of it, Altadena, offers dark skies, great value for your real estate dollars (more house/larger lots), an urban nature feeling, and direct access to hundreds of trails and viewing sites in the adjacent Angeles National Forest. Yet, from Altadena, you are only 10 minutes from the business center of Pasadena and 30 minutes from Downtown Los Angeles, accessible by both freeway and the Gold Line light rail. You might be interested in checking out my Trulia blog on the urban homesteading movement in Altadena.

The truly BEST star-gazing is about two hours away from Los Angeles - either at Red Rock Canyon in the Mojave Desert or, if you prefer a Sierra Nevada mountain view, in the Kern River Valley.

I hope this information helps, and happy star-gazing!

Meredith McKenzie
Altadena Resident

California Broker #01142186

323-230-9749

http://www.arroyolover.com
If you must stay in the immediate LA area I would surely recommend somewhere around the Griffith Park area. However, be aware that with night lights, smog and fog your conditions will not always be that great. I spent 3 1/2 years in Simi Valley after the 1994 Northridge earthquake and found it to be a very clean and clear area for star gazing. It's just over the Santa Suzana Pass from the San Fernando Valley which is practically downtown LA nowadays.
A couple of good places would be the Hollywood Hills, Brentwood, Topanga Canyon, Mulholland Drive area, Griffith Park Area and Calabasas. If you would like me to send you some properties, feel free to email me or call me anytime.

I look forward to assisting you.
Have a great day,
Heather Paul, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
310-586-0364
Do you need to stay in LA? Malibu is great, but in reality, the best place is Lancaster/ Palmdale/ Mojave. As you see as you drive into Los Angeles, the light polution gets too high, even in the Santa Clarita Valley.
I take my telescope to Mojave for main events, or Tahoe in the summer.
Happy to discuss further...have lived here all my life and can give you some ideas.
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) (310) 800-2954
http://www.thebremnergroup.com
Hi Fedesha:

Anywhere in the hills or out in the boon docks. Yes, Topanga, Calabasas, Agoura, Thousand Oaks, West Hills or anywhere up off of Mulholland Drive. You can even get closer to Griffith Park, where the observatory is. For that matter, in the hills of Burbank would work too. La Crescenta...just thinking out of the box!

There are many lovely properties on the outskirts of the city that may work for you.

How close to the city do you want to be?

Feel free to contact me directly if I may be of assistance to you. I am native to Los Angeles and know Southern California well!

All the best and good luck!

Kat Becker, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
katbecker@prula.com
(323) 819-4760