Are in ground oil tanks illegal in merrick, ny, nassau county??? wglow5@optonline.net

Asked by Tris, Merrick, NY Wed Jan 25, 2012

Answers

6
Cheryl Uram’s answer
Cheryl Uram, Agent, Franklin Square, NY
Wed Jan 25, 2012
An in ground oil tank is not illegal. The concern is that if it leaks, you will have an environmental clean-up issue. If your tank contaminates the ground with oil spillage, it is very costly to rectify. That is why people steer clear of them. The tank can be pressure tested for leakage, but that risks causing a leak in an older tank that might have broken time over time.
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Sat Jan 19, 2013
To answer your question, underground oil tanks in Merrick and/or Nassau county are not illegal.
Bryan Berard…, Agent, Bellmore, NY
Thu Jan 17, 2013
Some people
Missed the boat here. It is true thast ingroud takns are currently legal, and it is true that if its an old steal tank it should be abandoned. But there are many tanks that are underground and are fine that way. Newer tanks madfe of fiberglass are perfectly safe underground.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Jan 25, 2012
In ground tanks are not illegal at this time; however it's a good idea to either remove the tank, and replace with an above ground tank, or have the tank certified abondoned...
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Wed Jan 25, 2012
They are not illegal anywhere that I am aware of, but they can present future problems. If you have an inground tank, it is worth the money to have it certifiably abandoned and an above ground tank installed.
Kevin Leathe…, Agent, Rockville Centre, NY
Wed Jan 25, 2012
At present they are legal but I recommend Sellers have the tank legally abandoned because several buyers will not purchase a house with this risk factor. If you want to sell it is a smart investment. Please visit my website for contact info for Windmill Oil Tank Service located under Buyer / Seller Resources. Windmill is one of the leading companies serving Nassau & Suffolk Counties Since 1976.