About property taxes in Roswell. Who thought of the 1% as being reasonable and equitable for property owners?

Asked by Regina McGlashen, Roswell, NM Wed Jun 13, 2012

The new 1% of assessed value placed on property taxes presents a very unfair distribution of personal contributions to supporting the cities infrastructure and human facilities.A homeowner paying 900.00 a year could be living next to someone paying 300.00 a year and both owners receive same neighborhood city and municipal services. Is this some kind of socialist idea to redistribute the wealth or allow everyone to pay only what they can afford without distinction to contributions into the cost of local upkeep? There are instances (many of them in Roswell) where a 190,000 dollar home is situated in close proximity to a 70,000 valued( or less) home. Why are people that can afford a bigger or better home being asked to pay neighborhood maintenance costs for those that have less expensive homes? Sounds very much like a welfare state, or socialism in the making.

Answers

1
tablerockjack, Home Buyer, Canyon Lake, TX
Sun May 19, 2013
Well Gina, welcome to big government! Bureaucrats cannot get rich taxing the poor. I mean a government job only paying $50,000 plus with full benefits and retirement isn't much to receive when you consider how hard it is to work bankers hours with all known holidays off with full pay etc. Stuffing envelopes with bills and applying postage in a nice climate controlled office is really hard work!!!!! Unfortunately this is the new normal in America now. I guess we go along till we are poor or risk Obama putting us on the IRS hit list!