Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Hudson County : Real Estate Advice

  • All16
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying11
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 14
Sat Aug 13, 2016
Lillytena answered:
One of the biggest nightmares with new home construction is failing to identify a cost item.

To obtain an accurate total price, you must have two things: 1. Each major and many minor items listed. 2. Accurate prices for each item - not guesses or allowances! I haven't listed every single nut and bolt item, however, I'll bet that you will be surprised at the detail of the list. If you have a specialized job and know of an item I could include, please contact me. I have provided extra blank spaces at the end of the list in case you need to add items. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 6, 2015
Jeanne Feenick answered:
Remodel, probably not, renovate probably so. You should talk to the township to explain your plans and you will get your answer.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Dec 17, 2014
garypuntman answered:
I would love to find a professional to do some staging for my home. I am going to be listing it soon. I want it to look great and appealing for future buyers. I think that getting someone to stage my home would help in being able to sell it faster. I will have to look into some of these suggestions. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 17, 2014
Christopher Lydon answered:
Fri Mar 23, 2012
Rob Weber answered:
Your question is cut off, please re-post or reply with the rest of your question.

Yes, you most definitely can do structural changes to the home, infact, you can do pretty much anything you want to the home short of completely replacing the foundation.

Your loan officer should be able to guide you through this process, if they can't then they're inexperienced in doing these and you should find a new one.

Your HUD consultant will let you know if there's anything you can't do or isn't feasible for your future home. Make sure to be nice to them because they'll be the most helpful person aside from your loan officer during one of these loans.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Feb 19, 2011
Dallas Texas answered:
Only city can provide you those answers

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Feb 12, 2011
Laura Giannotta answered:
I'd suggest finding out with other homes in your neighborhood offer. You never want to change that up too much or go overboard with improvements that can't offset their cost . The questions to ask; how long are you staying in the home, does that mean your master bath will only have a shower, and other there similar homes that have a master bath without a tub. Good luck!

Laura Giannotta
Little Egg Harbor Realtor
Keller Willaims Realty-Northfield
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 7, 2011
Helen Cocuzza answered:
If you can call the town hall or court house to find out the rules for first time offenses, if you dont get anywhere with that I would contact an attorney, the initial consultation is generally free & you can either call or meet with them I have found so whatever works for you. Township rules vary by town so I'm sorry I do not know yours specifically but I have an aunt up north that didnt shovel her sidewalk due to the fact that shes "92" & no one could get out with all that snow we had , so I took care of the matter for her & the fee was $250.00, no first time warning , citation or anything, so I hear you! Good Luck with it & please let me know what happens if you dont mind. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Sep 15, 2010
Laura Ana Blanche answered:
Hi Nicole,

I have a client that just went through this process and was successful. If you'd like additional advice after you talk to the zoning board, please feel free to call me. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu May 13, 2010
Desreane "Desi" Daniels answered: offered a cost vs Value anaysis for home owners.. perhaps this can be helpful

Desi Daniels ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 24, 2010
Christopher Amberg answered:

Good question. The answer is yes, its a very smart renovation. You will get your money back. You'll also stand out over similar properties without W/D in unit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.


Chris Amberg
Weichert Realtors
Exchange Place Office
251 Washington Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Cell: 917-428-8317
Efax: 201-221-8129
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 21, 2009
Andrea Gizzo answered:
If I can take a look at the work that needs to be done, I will give you a ruff idea of cost and depending on the extent of the work direct you to the best party for the job.

My number is 201 359 4560. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 15, 2009
Debra (Debbie) Rose answered:
First of all - the fact that the work is completed does not mean you can't prove they didn't have permits...of course you can, .as permits are taken out with the buidling inspector's office, so there are records of them (if they are required), plus the final co's and inspections should be on record, too, if they were properly done..

Now, if they simply replaced the sink and commode or installed new itle, and didn't alter the configuration of the batheroom, permits might not have been needed. Call the building inspector's office, and find out. Also read your bylaws to determine what the owner's obligation is prior to making any changes or modifications, and whether permission must first be granted.

Walter summed it up nicely - Certainly you need to make the management company and association aware of what has taken place. Based on their response, if they won't take any actions, you might want to hire an attorney. Please know that no Realtor can give legal advice.

In my condo, the association would definitely follow up in a situation such as yours. But, every condo varies.

You will need to document, in writing, any damage that has occurred in your unit.

Good luck.......let us know how things turn out!
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
... more
2 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 23, 2008
Irina "Irene" Barnaby answered:
Historic building are allowed to have deck as long as they are set back far enough so pedestrians can't see them from street level. The idea is to preserve the historic facade of Downtown Jersey City. Recently (about a year ago) the city stopped giving out permits for the construction of rooftop decks almost completely. The decks been viewed as a safety risk and a nuisance to for the neighborhoods. They could change their mind down the line, but for now it’s very hard if not impossible to get a permit. Check with the building department 30 Montgomery 14th floor for the recent turn of events.

Irene Barnaby
Real Estate Specialist
Weichert Million Dollar Sales Club
Weichert Executive Club
Weichert Realtors
273 Grove St
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Cell: 973 885 3961
Office: 201 333 4443 x 266 Office
Fax: 800 831 9207
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice