where can I find info on the sales my broker claims to have performed last year?

Asked by Peri, California Fri Dec 9, 2011

I am looking for a website that will allow me to track by my brokers id the sales he had in 2009 - 2010.
He gave me a huge number (over 30 sales) for one year and I need to know if it's true or not so I feel comfortable in signing up with him. thank you.

Answers

10
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Dec 9, 2011
Don't use that agent.

You obviously don't trust him ("my broker CLAIMS to have performed" "I need to know if it's TRUE or NOT.").

Further, the obvious answer would have been to ask the agent for more information. Not only do you doubt the agent's word, but you're so skeptical that you won't even ask the agent for the information.

Odds are 99.9999% that the agent is telling you the truth. That information is easy enough to verify; there'd be no reason for an agent to risk his license by making that stuff up. If it were me, I'd have simply asked the agent: "Can you provide more information?" You apparently aren't comfortable doing so.

Trust is absolutely vital between a client and his/her agent. That's apparently missing here. And, just guessing here, I suspect you'd be second-guessing your agent at each step along the way. ("Are those comps real? Is he telling the truth when he says he didn't receive any calls today about my property? Is he really marketing the house the way he said he would? Is he telling the truth when he says he hasn't received any offers?")

Continue your search for an agent you can trust.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Dec 9, 2011
Don, "Bulls-eye!"

Trust is essential. It's been violated already. Save everyone future pain and move on.
Wanda Jo Plo…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Sat Dec 10, 2011
Statistics for an individual are difficult to find but your Agent/Broker should be able to provide you with client recommendations. You may also be able to visit the local Board Of Realtors for background information. My state has a web site that provides informtion on Agents license and if they've had any complaints. Good Luck and best wishes.
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Sat Dec 10, 2011
This information is internal to an agency and the MLS. However that agent can pull his own sales from the MLS and should be able to provide you with documentation of each of his transactions. Ask him for detailed documentation from the MLS of each of his transactions. However, I have to say if you don't trust what he is saying to you--how are you going to trust him to get your home sold?
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sat Dec 10, 2011
Dear Peri,
This information is very hard to come by. My company does have statistics which show the top selling agents in the company and the number of salels, but that information is internal.

If you doubt the honest of your broker at this early stage of the game I would go with your gut on it. Unless he can show you the MLS listings with his name on the closed transactions (which can be done, by the way). You likely will not be able to confirm any outlandish claims.

This has been a very difficult few years (5) in Real Estate. I would not be suprized to find that many sales that were started, never actually closed escrow.
I personally would look for an Agent who can show you a number of happy buyers since there are so many in the market right now. Even if they were not able to actually purchase, they can certainly reveal a lot about working with him/her. You can make your decision based upon their performance with them.
Best!
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Dec 9, 2011
Peri:

Is your goal: 1) to determine if your broker has misled you so you can figure out if you should extend your TRUST, OR 2) is it to confirm the number of sales in 2009-2010 because you want to use this as a performance metric for SELLING CAPABILITY?

TRUST
Anyone reading this post can understand the need to trust who they work with; especially when it comes time to sell your home. My colleagues have provided excellent feedback below if you want to "fact check".

However, while the "trust factor" is certainly important in the decision making process it appears as though you may be placing too much weight on the wrong metric when you are looking at number of units sold. For example, an average “List Price to Sold Price” percentage might be more informative as far as an expected outcome.

SELLING CAPABILITY
The #1 factor that sells a home is price, which you will quickly have an opportunity to influence. If you have a “line in the sand number” while your agent is suggesting a price that is lower you will just shoot yourself in the foot. Statistically, your optimal selling opportunity is in the first 2-3 weeks when attention is at its highest. So, I would respectfully suggest rather than the number of sales someone had between some period of time, you should in fact be looking at the best price and MARKETING PLAN that gets the most feet walking through your front door.

The 2010 National Association of Realtors® Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers asked how buyers first learned about the home they purchased. Here’s the breakdown, which should help you pick the right agent for the job of marketing your property wisely:

38% of buyers said the Internet;
37% from a real estate agent;
11% a yard sign or open house;
6% percent from a friend, neighbor or relative;
4% home builders;
2% a print or newspaper ad;
2% directly from the seller; and less than
1% from a home book or magazine.

Best of luck with your home!

-Steve
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Fri Dec 9, 2011
Why not ask him to show you the listings? Each time I complete a transaction, I print the final MLS listing update and stick in a folder to show clients as proof of my experience. In our MLS system, the final update shows the selling agent (buyer's agent) and the listing agent (seller's agent). Whether I worked with the buyer or seller, I always have an MLS record to show for it. For sales that take place off the MLS, as some do, I keep a copy of the final escrow closing statement, though I always black out the name of the buyer and seller to protect their privacy.
, ,
Fri Dec 9, 2011
Almost any other agent can give you that number. I know though I have had many sales that did not show up in the MLS because the listing agents put their own information in there, to make their numbers look better. Also I got spanked by the board for not putting all of my sales in the MLS. But in geneneral it is public information.
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Dec 9, 2011
Peri,

The local board might be able to give you the number, although keep in mind there are also deals that happen that aren't listed. And regardless of how many deals he's done, get some references.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Dec 9, 2011
You can check with the local Board of Realty; also ask the broker for references from past clients. Keep in mind that the number of sales a person may have had, or not, really doesn't mean anything, as some newer agents may be just as good, if not better. When choosing an agent make sure you like each other, and most importantly trust one another; communication is always key, ask the broker how to track his past sales information. Keep in mind that in today's market, pricing and marketing that maximizes exposure are paramount, without, it really doesn't matter who the agent/broker is.