How To... in 02139>Question Details

Dk, Both Buyer and Seller in 02139

what is involved in condoizing a two family house (currently co-owned)?

Asked by Dk, 02139 Wed May 5, 2010

0 votes Share Flag How To... in 02139

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi DK,
First, speak with an attorney. You will need to go through a few legal steps before doing anything.

Next, bring some agents in to look at both units so you can get prices.

Pretty easy stuff here. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 6, 2010
FIrst you need an attorney that has experience with condominium conversions. Having been involved in over a dozen conversions, it has been my experience that the conversions are a matter of right as long as you are not changing the use. Each Town/City does may have by-laws to consider, so it is advisable to speak with a knowledgeable attorney first before opeining any converstaion with the Municipality.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 6, 2010
Yes, check with the town to see what paperwork or inspections are required, and have an attorney draw up the documents. You may have to do condos and not SF attached based on zoning, or zoning may pre-clude the entire activity.

Matt Heisler is a real-estate professional and owner of Heisler & Mattson Properties. He has been selling residential real-estate for over 10 years. He has given several talks on real estate, including presentations on first-time buyer tips & tricks, and profiting in real estate investing in Massachusetts. As a Vanderbilt University alumnus, he is proud to serve the communities of Natick, Framingham, Medfield, Millis, Holliston, Hopkinton, Southborough, Westborough, Northborough, Grafton, Marlborough, Shrewsbury, Worcester, Milford, Charlton, Northbridge, Sutton, Hudson, Sudbury, Clinton, Boylston, and West Boylston. His company website can be found at, and his Metrowest Blog can be read at

*All information is posted in good faith and is assumed to be reliable, but may rely on third party information sources.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 6, 2010
Wow I wish my brother in law was on Trulia, he'd be the perfect one to answer this question. He's recently converted his 4-plex to condos. In short, he needed an attorney to write up CC&R’s and then worked with the local municipality to change the zoning.

In hindsight, I think he learned a valuable lesson. It would have been better to change to a single family attached than condo; because when trying to sell a single family attached is easier to get financed by a buyer than a condo.

Best of luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 5, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer