Question removed

Asked by Seth Ball, Raven Run, PA Fri Dec 5, 2008

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

4
Tony Cannon, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Sat Dec 6, 2008
What is your reason for getting a license? Getting a license is ridiculously easy, so there are a lot of agents floating around who shouldn't be representing other people. It's OK if you want to represent yourself, but realize the business looks easy from the inside, but it is not, especially if you hope to be good at it. It requires knowledge, time, patience, money, business planning, emotional and financial stability. Yes, getting a license is the first step, but where do you go from there and what are your expectations?

I think having part time agents is also a disserve to the industry. Would you want a part time doctor, lawyer, or dentist to take care of you?
Diane Conaway, Agent, Escondido, CA
Fri Dec 5, 2008
Hi Seth,

I've been a realtor about 12 years and started the same way you are while working a "real" job. I took a traditional class thru a junior college and learned a lot. I got my brokers license about 2 years ago and took the course online. I found it was full of errors and there wasn't anyone to discuss it with or correct. Since you are just starting out, I strongly encourage you to take the time to actually learn. Advising someone on buying or selling properties is a very important responsibility and shouldn't be taken lightly. It is the largest financial transaction many people ever do and affects their whole livelihood. It's not about getting the license the fastest or the cheapest, it should be about getting the best education you can. I became a realtor because I received bad advise when purchasing my first home and I didn't want that to happen to me again. I liked it so well, I quit my job and became a realtor full time. Part of the reason we are in this mess is that a lot of people advised people to buy homes they couldn't afford with loans that were horrible. Consumers deserve better than that. Take the time to be a great student and then you'll become a great realtor! Best of luck to you.

Diane Conaway, RE/MAX United, (760) 749-2888
Teri Andrews…, Agent, Auburn, CA
Fri Dec 5, 2008
I did mine online thru these guys Accredited Real Estate Schools worked out well for me, BUT you do have to be dedicated, there is a time limit for each course access. Study the practice questions a lot in the couple weeks before the test.

Only you know if you work better by yourself or need the classroom structure.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri Dec 5, 2008
Seth,
On line is tough....We recomend considering evening and weekend alternatives with a real live instructor.