is there any grants for drainfields or septic systems?

Asked by Junior, Orlando, FL Fri Jul 24, 2009

i purchase my home 3 years ago and shortly after that i had problems with the look like the previous owners knew about the problem but didnt mentioned it at closing. is there something i can do to fix it!! what steps do i have to follow and can i get any help from someone?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Assti2010, , Miami, FL
Tue Aug 31, 2010
Unfortunately if you did not have a septic tank/drainfield inspection before you purchased your home, you are pretty much on y our own. in miami, it is mandatory that such an inspection be done. however, is you have damages done to the interior of your home, i.e. toilet overflow, carpet damage, then your insurance company will pay a portion. if someone drove over the tank and field i.e. a dump truck/heavy equipment/large riding lawn mowwers, then they would be responsible for damages on their liability insurance. i don't know if this helps you any, but, good luck. just be sure after it is repaired that you DO NOT USE, any product that is flushed down ANY drain that is not bio-degradeable. DO NOT ever, use Chlorine bleach. other bleach products are available. just read the back of your products. -
0 votes
Suzanne Ogden, Agent, Longwood, FL
Sat Jul 25, 2009

Most likely your Homeowners Insurance will not pay for this, but call your insurance agent or insurance company claims office anyway to be absolutely sure. Did you get a Home Warranty at the time you closed on your home and have renewed it annually? The coverage on septic systems can vary with Home Warranties... some provide limited coverage for septic systems.

The prior owner may or may not have experienced a problem with the drainfield. Use of the system can vary from one homeowner to another.... for example, you might use the clothes washer alot more than the previous homeowner which could cause a water overload on the drainfield. Have you had a reputible septic service company diagnose the problem and provide an estimate to remedy the problem you are having?
Maybe a septic company representative would know of a resource where you can get some financial assistance. Have you tried calling the City of Orlando or Orange County?

Unfortunately, I do not have any other ideas that might be helpful. Does anyone else out there responding to the Trulia Q & A's have any better advice?

Suzanne Ogden, Realtor
Charles Rutenberg Realty
Web Reference:
0 votes
Jacqueline C…, , Orlando, FL
Fri Jul 24, 2009
Did you try your homeowner's insurance? I don't know of any grants specifically for the repairs your need. Most grants are for first time homebuyers.

I would call your agent to determine if the insurance company will consider paying for the repairs.

Good Luck,
Jacqueline Clarke
Enterprise Mortgage Group
Winter Park, FL
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more