do" squatters rights" still mean leagally that if no one wants an abandoned house you can take it for back taxes? Is this true in Illinois?

Asked by Earvin199, 60617 Thu May 12, 2011

? Where can I get the paperwork for this?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ranj Mohip, Other Pro, Chicago, IL
Sun May 15, 2011
"Squatter's rights" means that you move into a property that you don't own and don't have a right to occupy. If you are there for the statutory time, you can become the owner. The legal term for this is adverse possession. You will have to file a quiet title action in court and prove that you should be given a deed.

The information in this answer is general information and is not intended as legal advice, nor do I intend to create an attorney-client relationship with any reader by answering this question or otherwise contributing as a member of
2 votes
Robert Pratt, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue May 17, 2011
Hi there, Earvin!

Thanks for the question.

There are a couple of terms that it seems might be applicable - including "adverse possession."
That being said, this IS a legal issue and the only way for you to be certain that you are getting the best legal advice is to speak with a real estate attorney.

Give us a call at 312.242.1000 if you would like the name of a great real estate attorney.
We are more than happy to help!

Best of luck to you.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun May 15, 2011
Since you are asking a legal question, it's in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate; he/she can best advise.
0 votes
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri May 13, 2011
No. You can get a property for a tax sale, but if you dont buy it then, most of the time, it moves into foreclosure.

Matt Laricy
Americorp Real Estate
Brokers Associate, e-PRO
Web Reference:
0 votes
John Potter, , Cook County, IL
Fri May 13, 2011
Go talk to a lawyer. There are a lot of issues concerning transferring title that only a solid attorney can work through with you.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more