deed transfer

Asked by Mary, Mastic, NY Sun Aug 17, 2008

we have land in mastic beach we want to sell. The deed is in our deceased fathers name. How do we(his children)transfer the title so we can sell the land.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jaishree Zil…, Agent, Woodbury, NY
Sun Aug 17, 2008
Before you do anything, please contact the Brookhaven Town 631-451-TOWN and ask for Zoning Department, they would need the information such as ...Section, Lot, Block, District, name of Land Owner..The Town code has become very strict, they would be able to tell you the Zoning, the size of the land require to build a property, and how many square feet of building or the size, etc questions...
Also if you call the Realtor in the area, they would be able to give you some idea of Land Value and what, where and size of the building can be build.
Please feel free to email.. phone# 631-889-2997.....Good Luck...
0 votes
Cori Kaplan, , Huntington, NY
Sun Aug 17, 2008
Hi Mary,

You will probably not need to transfer title in order to sell the house. If your dad had a will, the executor would have the authority to transfer title at the closing. Please feel free to call me with any specific questions, 631-944-8829. I am both an attorney and a realtor.

Cori Kaplan
Web Reference:
0 votes
Franklin Bla…, Agent, New York, NY
Sun Aug 17, 2008
Before you do anything with the title, which will cost you money, find out if the land is buildable and what the value is. Land in Mastic Beach has lower overall value then many other areas of Long Island, plus Brookhaven town has very strict limits as to the zoning of every area and what they will allow to be built on. Value is all about size and location and it's actual use to the buyer. All land has value, but should be approached differently. The bottom line, contact a realtor who can give you advice as to the value of the property prior to spending money on an attorney.
0 votes
Phil Svendsen, , Huntington, NY
Sun Aug 17, 2008
It is extremely important that you contact a competant attorney as soon as possible with regard to the transfer of any property.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more