Where and how to find out remodeling and floor plan information for a foreclosure home?

Asked by Crusoe, Cupertino, CA Sat Oct 1, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sat Oct 1, 2011

Assuming work was performed with proper permits, the City permit office.

Best, Steve
1 vote
Grace Morioka, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sun Oct 2, 2011

You can get the floor plan information from the Town of Los Altos Hills Planning Department. They will have microfiche of all of the homes built in the community. Because the Town is comprised of mostly custom homes, your chances are far greater that a lengthy and detailed file exists in the Town's records of the home's plan.

As for interior remodeling, some of the homeowners get permits and some do not. If the exterior is being modified, most assuredly, there will be some permits. However, if the remodeling was limited to interior amenities without changing the footprint of the home, there may not be any permits on the interior changes. A good contractor, however, should be able to help you assess the changes in the home and if these changes will require modifications to meet current building codes.

Please keep in mind that while you'll be able to view the plans on microfiche at the Town Hall, you will NOT be able to get copies of any home plans without the express written consent of the architect. All plans are the work product of an architect, and the architect must release the plans to you if you want a set.

Good luck! And work with a great Realtor to help you purchase your new home!!

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty-People's Choice
0 votes
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Oct 1, 2011
You can start with the listing agent and they do not have any info you can check with the building department of the town/city the home is located for any permit info. You can aslo check teh assessors office for more details on the tax card.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes
Andrea Wince…, Agent, Milpitas, CA
Sat Oct 1, 2011
If any work were done with permits, check the City records. Here's some helpful links .....
Los Altos: http://www.losaltoshills.ca.gov/building-and-planning
Cupertino: http://www.ecupertino.org/egovplus/entity/login_main.aspx
Additionally, do a thorough home inspection conducted by a competent inspector.
0 votes
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Sat Oct 1, 2011
The City or County Building Department has a record of all permits. They may or may not have a floor plan.

All the best to you.
Web Reference:  http://terrivellios.com
0 votes
Heather Wrig…, Agent, The Dalles, OR
Sat Oct 1, 2011
Hello Crusoe
Are you purchasing a foreclosure that has been remodeled? Wanting to make sure the work was done correctly? I would suggest going to the county to suggest permit information. I am not sure how they do that in California. A lot of counties now have everything online. I hope that helps!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more