What does it take to add my husbands name to my mortgage in Denver, Colorado? Also his name is already on the deed, need to know? What do i need ?

Asked by Willa, Denver, CO Tue Jun 22, 2010

Answers

4
, ,
Tue Jun 9, 2015
Hi Willa,

The only way to add your husband to the mortgage is to refinance the existing mortgage with him as a co-borrower which means he will have to qualify just like you will.

Take a look at the recommendations from some of my past clients on my Trulia profile by clicking the link below my phone number.

Please feel free to contact me for more information or help.

John Burke
Senior Mortgage Banker
Lending in ALL 50 states
Great Plains National Bank
(877)228-9069
NMLS# 787231
http://www.trulia.com/profile/john-burke-mortgage-broker-or-…
Eric Markows…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Thu Jun 4, 2015
Willa, Call and talk to your mortgage company and see what they recommend. They can give you the pro sand cons adding your husband. You can also talk to a real estate attorney and get his legal advise.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Tue Jun 22, 2010
The most important thing for him is that he is on the deed, Depending why you want him on the mortgage, you may be doing the right or the wrong thing. You will be spreading the responsibility but saddling him with more debt. you would have to contact your current lender and ask if this can be accomplished, it may be easy or could require you to reapply with full docs for your husband. good luck with working things out
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Tue Jun 22, 2010
Why do you want his name added to the mortgage? I'm not sure that'd always be the wisest decision. If his name is already on the deed, he's fine as far as ownership is concerned. And whether he's on the mortgage or not, he can pay (or help you pay) the mortgage. Adding his name might just expose him to additional liability.

To address your specific question, you can check with your lender. But, really, check with a real estate lawyer before doing it. There are a lot of drawbacks and not many advantages to doing so.