What are the essential considerations for becoming a landlord? Is VA a pro landlord or pro tenant state?

Asked by Lawrence, 20120 Sat Dec 20, 2008

Answers

2
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Sat Dec 27, 2008
Lawrence... I guess it all depends on what you're comparing Virginia to! Compared to DC or MD, Va is VERY pro-landlord. Compared to Texas, not so much. I have some links on the web page below that you might find helpful. In addition to being a real estate agent in the No Va area, I worked for many years in property management for multifamily owners - so I would manage portfolios of 5K units or so at one time. Although my portfolios included West Va, DC and Maryland, the majority of my experience was in Virginia - 1 property in Roanoke, 1 in Woodstock, 1 in Culpeper, 1 in Front Royal... and all the rest (lots of them) in Northern Virginia - Prince William/Fauquier/Fairfax/Loudoun/Arlington Counties and the various towns and local jurisdictions within those areas.

I am HAPPY to talk with you and answers some questions or provide resources, feel free to call me 703-669-3142.
Monika Kumar, Agent, Reston, VA
Sat Dec 20, 2008
Hi Lawrence,

I think if you own more than 5 units in VA you come under VA landlord act. Please confirm first,.
Virginia, as I am aware, is a landlord state but please double check.
Web Reference:  http://www.RealtyGeeks.com