How To... in Canton>Question Details

thrashley11, Renter in Canton, GA

Want to evict my roommate.

Asked by thrashley11, Canton, GA Fri Mar 1, 2013

I moved my brother in-law in 2 months ago because he "needed help". Recently I have been noticing things missing and feel threatened by him. My Husband asked him about our missing items and he denied taking them and started threatening physical abuse on him. (Im also 8 months pregnant and do not want to deal with violence in my home) I do not feel comfortable with him staying 30 days to evict him. If he is stealing and threatening my home is there anyway I can speed the process up? I want him out as soon as possible.

0 votes Share Flag How To... in Canton

Help the community by answering this question:


Unfortunately when you do a good deed to help a family member, it might put you in a bad situation. You may need to legally evict him and if you are unfamiliar with the process, should probably consult an attorney.

If you are feeling threatened though, you can contact Canton PD or Cherokee SO and get a Restraining Order. This will sometimes allow you to prevent him from being in your home while you go thru the eviction process. It can be a tricky situation.

Good luck! And be safe.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 31, 2013
I myself would just change the locks and but his stuff outside at the end of the month. But I would ask him to leave first nicely
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 2, 2013
I am so sorry that you are having trouble with a family member, especially since you were trying to help him when he was down. To get him actually evicted is a legal process and can take time, perhaps you can suggest that he start looking for his own place again since you will be need to the space for your new addition.

If he is working, perhaps he can afford to purchase a place of his own. If he would like to call me I can suggest a lender or two that can help him assess his situation and maybe good can come of this.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 2, 2013
For legal advice, you would need to contact an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 2, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer