To put up a notice for the public to see?

Asked by Brad Brinkman, San Diego, CA Wed Oct 7, 2009

I have a property that is not on the market yet and I want to let the public know about it, so I where and how do I put up a posting like that?

Answers

5
Michael Ford, Agent,
Mon Aug 8, 2011
you're kidding, right?

you're a licensed agent, a subscriber to the local MLS, and you want the other agents in town to tell you how to market the home so that you don't have to offer us a co-op commission?

this is the essence of the data sharing that is the core element of our MLS...we all share all. it is also a precondition of your MLS terms of use that unless the seller instructs otherwise that the listed property must be entered within 24 hours.

you're killin' us!
Agnes Tabor, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Hello Brad,

So you have a pocket listing, is it your property or does it belong to your client.

I am licensed in Florida and laws are different in each state but am happy to share some ideas.

From past experience a pocket listing can be a FISBO who is not willing to pay for our services. So, an agent in an effort to make nice with this seller will get the information including taking photos and begin talking about the property. Best way to start is to be sure that you have a buyers agreement that should you bring a buyer, ready, willing and able, to purchase that you (your broker) will receive some type of compensation.

As far as posting to the public, my suggestion is post to Craigs List or Back Page, in either case a street address is not required just main streets to the property. You must disclose that you are an agent and your brokerage. All contacts are thru your annonumus email provided by these sites. You can post photos as well as details.

Be sure to check with your broker for any legal issues that you must address to the public.

Agnes Tabor, REALTOR
Naples Fl
PREMIERE PLUS REALTY
Kari Shea, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Oct 8, 2009
Hi Debbie,

The laws ib CA are different with respect to "advertising" properties for sale.

Mark and Kari Shea
San Diego Real Estate Experts
Foreclosure & Investment & Short Sale Specialists,
Development Opportunities & Traditional Real Estate
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Oct 7, 2009
Brad, if the property is not yet listed - and you promote it for the public to see, how will you be protected from other agents going after it, or from buyers going direct?? Are you writing up an exclusive listing agreement?

You can blog about it here on Trulia or put it on Craigs list..... but aren't you taking a chance that someone could reach out to the seller directly?
Just curious why you're not simply listing it?
Kari Shea, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Oct 7, 2009
Brad,

As an agent, yopu cannot advertise a property without it being listed.

You can go to the broker pitch sessions in your area and pitch it as a pocket listing.

Mark and Kari Shea
San Diego Real Estate Experts