Mountain Rain, Home Owner in 95014

Property Tax Adjustment in Santa Clara County

Asked by Mountain Rain, 95014 Sat Nov 15, 2008

What are the steps that I should take to request for a property tax adjustment with Santa Clara County Assessor office? Where shall I collect comparable sales data and where can I find more info about how the property tax is calculated?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


CJ Brasiel, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sun Nov 16, 2008
Mtn Rain -

If you go to the tax assessor's web site ( you will find a form to complete. You will need to support it with like homes that have sold within one mile of your home in the last 12 months. They are looking for a change in value tax-year to tax-year. Have an agent that works in your neighborhood assist in pulling comps. I have done this before for folks.

Make sure to click the "more information" link near the bottom of the page it outlines how your application will be reviewed:

Good luck!
Web Reference:
2 votes
Margotnovak, Home Buyer, San Jose, CA
Mon Jul 20, 2015
How do I request a reassessment for my 2014 tax bill after homeowners exemption was deducted my 2015 tax bill?
0 votes
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Mon Jan 9, 2012
Hi Mountain Rain:

Per Proposition 8, you need to turn in a Decline in Value Request
or you can contact the:

Division Real Property


For More Information Please Contact:
Real Property Phone
3rd Floor
Phone: 408-299-5300 (Property valuations, Propositions 3, 60, 90)
Phone: 408-299-5350 (Williamson Act)
Fax: 408-298-9439 (for above services)
Phone: 408-299-5371 (Possessory Interest)…
Also, you need to ask your agent to give you comps for a year and turn it in before the deadline.

To apply for a reduction for the 2012-13 Assessment Roll please visit the Assessor's website after you receive your notification card in June 2012.

The values are…

Good luck.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Michelle Car…, Agent, Coppertino, AL
Mon Jan 2, 2012
This is a fairly simple process but there are forms to fill out and deadlines to consider. For example, appeals are only requests must be received by August 1st annually, no exceptions. Results are posted after August 15th. The filing appeal window is between July 2 and September 15 annually.

At the Santa Clara County Assessor's site http://( you will find a form to complete.

Enlist the help of a neighborhood specialist in providing the supporting data of similar closed homes within one mile of your home in the last 12 months. Keep in mind an appeal will be rejected if the request is based on only 1 or 2 low-priced homes when the others are all selling at your current assessed value or higher.

You can locate the specific form here:
0 votes
Sam Shueh, , San Jose, CA
Fri Nov 28, 2008
If the value of your CU property has dropped, the SC County assessor office will send you an ammendment.
For Cupertino if the price drops 1-3% for the same size, and you are forcing the issue by contacting the office
you may get an adjustment. From what I recall once you challenged the authority your property will quickly get adjusted and watched for a re-assessment in an up swing. That happens to one of my clients.

As for collecting comp data it is better to get a State Licensed Appraisal who does it correctly and is qualified to represented you.
0 votes
Mehdi Safipo…, Agent, Campbell, CA
Mon Nov 17, 2008
I don't think home prices in the zip code 95014 has dropped!!
There is deadline for submitting application for adjustment of property tax, make sure you haven't missed that!
Mehdi Safipour
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more