My lease is up 12/31/10 & rent is current through 8/31/10. My job is relocating-Detroit from NY & I have opted to go 9/1/10. How can I port?

Asked by Niesi72, Brooklyn, NY Fri Jul 23, 2010


Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


George Capella’s answer
George Capel…, , Brooklyn, NY
Fri Jul 23, 2010
I suggest that you notify the landlord of your intentions to vacate in writting.Explain in your letter that you either intend to live out your deposit or pay the rent and request that the deposit be returned. Understand that the landlord does not have to return the security deposit due to your early departure and breaking of your lease. Also expllain that your hasty departure is a result of your job relocating.Your landlord does hava a legal remedy against you due to breaking the lease, if he is unable to find someone immediately to fill the apartment he can sue for breaking the lease and lose of rental income, if someone is found right away there is no lose and no foul.
I am not clear on what type of rental unit you have but at least you have a general idea what the landlords can do ...Good luck in your travels....
0 votes
Charles D'Al…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Fri Jul 23, 2010
You can just try to do the right thing and notify the landlord. If you give him notice he may understand. There is not much else to do.
0 votes
Madeline Pad…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Fri Jul 23, 2010
Hi Niesi
What do you mean How can I port?
You are breaking your lease - some owners will sue you and some will let you go.
Ask if they will cancel the balance of your lease and let you off the hook, get in in writing.
Otherwise you are stuck.

Can you sublease?
Going to be a hard sale for 3 months only but its worth a shot, and then again if they ruin anything you
are on the hook.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more