Is it standard to pay commission to the real estate agent for a rental property in Fairfield County?

Asked by S, New York, NY Wed Aug 13, 2008

Is it standard that you have to pay 10% of the years rent as a commission to the rental agent in Fairfield County if you are the tenant?

Answers

3
Marcie Berson, , Fairfield, CT
Thu Aug 14, 2008
There is no "Typical" rental commission or fee here in Fairfield County. All commissions are fully negotiable by law (for sales, as well as rentals). If a rental is listed in the MLS then most likely the landlord has agreed to pay a fee to the agents to find a suitable tenant. If I work with a tenant to find a rental from the MLS then I collect the fee from the listing agent or landlord if it is offered in the listing. If they will not pay a fee, then I will tell the tenant up front and negotiate with them to pay for my services. All of these commission and other fee details are always spelled out in the Buyer/Tenant Agency Agreement that you should sign with your agent to protect both your rights and the rights of your agent to represent you.
Don Fabrizio…, Agent, Danbury, CT
Thu Aug 14, 2008
Usually in Fairfield County, the owner pays the commission for rentals. So, as a potential tenant, it is doubtful that you would have to pay a fee to your real estate agent. When you hire an agent to help you locate your new rental, read the Buyer/Tenant Broker Agreement you will sign - this will indicate any fees you will be responsible for.
Web Reference:  http://www.FabRealEstate.com
Randi Hutton, Agent, Westport, CT
Thu Aug 14, 2008
Yes, it is standard to pay 10% or 1 months rent as a commission for a rental in Connecticut. In most cases, this commission is paid by the seller. Agents work very hard with rentals as well as sales, showing all appropriate rentals (and the inventory is high now), negotiating, following up re lease, paperwork, walk through, etc.Agents spend hours working with clients on finding the most suitable rental....Not only is there time involved but please remember, in most cases, they are driving their clients around and that is an expense as well. Good agents earn every penny of ttheir commissions whether it be for a rental or a sale!
Should you or anyone you know need any help in finding a rental or a property to buy, I would welcome the opportunity to represent you. Please call me at 203-221-2186 or email randi@huttonrealestate.com (William Raveis Real Estate). Thank you, Randi Hutton