Beth, Other/Just Looking in California

In what Marin County cities/towns is it LEGAL to board (clients') dogs in your home for profit? We want to

Asked by Beth, California Wed Jul 23, 2008

do this in Nicasio or somewhere in Marin that has land. Ideas and info please!

Also, are there other Bay Area communites outside of Marin where this can be done legally? And what are the restrictions on number of dogs, costs and permit process?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Fri Jul 25, 2008
Hi Beth:

Various towns in Marin do allow kennels and boarding services, sometimes the business are actually for sale - I happened to see one a couple of months ago.

The best place to find out about zoning for kennel or boarding animals is to talk to the cities you are interested in and the county (if the location is in the county proper). You can actually call the planning / zoning departments first before deciding if you want to go down and talk to them. The will also let you know about the process of gettng property permit and such.

Once you have decided the area to look at, then you can find the available property that's suitable for your purpose.

Then again, you can save all the troubles by talking to a Realtor who will be able to do the research for you and see if there are properties that are currently available for your purposes - not only for the boarding/kennel but also for the home, lot size, location, community you might be interested in within the price range you are looking for.

This is what we do best.

Good luck!
Sylvia .
0 votes
Mary Kay and…, Agent, San Rafael, CA
Wed Jul 23, 2008

You would have to make sure that any property you looked at was zoned for a kennel. You would be able to confirm the zoning by checking with the city or county office in charge of each property your are interested in. Please let us know if we can assist you in finding a suitable property.

Best Regards,

Kathy & Mary Kay Yamamoto
0 votes
Liz Williams…, Agent, Mill Valley, CA
Wed Jul 23, 2008
There is no easy answer for that question. The only way to know for sure is to go down to City Hall of each town and find out. Each city has different zones for diffierent uses. Most residential zoning I would imagine you will not be able to. But if the zoning has mixed use, along with large lots where you can have farm animals, horses etc...Having a boarding house for dogs might be okay. But the only way to know is to go to City Hall. Sorry this is not much help!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
How To... in Novato Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more