How To... in Seattle>Question Details

Cp, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

I want to find out how much will be the cost to hook up sewer in seattle area

Asked by Cp, Seattle, WA Wed Mar 7, 2012

Should I contact gereral contractor who take care everything ?
Or just call the plumbing company?
I would like have some idea bout that even though I am not going to do it myself.

Help the community by answering this question:


If I were you, I'd call around to a couple of contractors and get some quotes/bids. Then look into their background and experience. Once you have some information on a few contractors that could do it, compare prices and choose one you'd be comfortable with.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2015
You should always get at least 3 bids before you hire any licensed sewer contractor. Make sure whomever does the work also has at least 5 years of experience as well & that you are comfortable with them. Sometimes, if you are willing to abide their schedule, you can get a better deal as well. Let them handle everything, including the permit!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 7, 2012
I'm not sure how you would figure that out. If I were you, I would call a sewage contractor to see how much they would charge. They can also help you with any other costs that may be included. Good luck and I hope you're able to figure everything out!
Flag Wed Jan 14, 2015
Well, actually you should be contacting a licensed sewer contractor, which is different than a plumber. Plumbers are not necessarily licensed to do sewer work, thought they may simply subcontract to a company that is.
And leave the whole permitting responsibility to them; this is not a DPD permit, it is specifically a sewer permit which can only be taken out by a licensed sewer contractor. The city does not allow property owners to act as sewer contractors because of the liability of the city sewer system.
The cost depends entirely on how much work needs to be done; it can cost $10,000 or $40,000. If you own an older home and the line is broken, the line might need complete replacement or simply blasted with a new liner. Which means you need to have a number of bids from licensed sewer contractors, not the firms that advertise on TV and tell you they do everything.
Always ask if there are other options other than the one that the contractor is suggesting. Follow the answer up by finding someone who does a lot of the other option.
Always ask if there is a cheaper way of fixing the problem...ASK, ASK, ASK questions.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 7, 2012
Well put, thanks. Don't just call a plumber for something like this. You need to talk to a certified sewer contractor if you want the transition done correctly. And you'll need to have the paperwork in place for when you sell your house. It's better to go with a specialized professional.
Flag Wed Apr 8, 2015
In addition to the cost of the pipe, digging and plumber, there's the capacity service charge:…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 7, 2012
I recommend getting bids from several plumbing contractors. To start, contact the City of Seattle Department of Planning & Development. Here's a link to the city's website: DPD can advise you about the permit application process, turn-around time for the permit, and the cost of the permit. You may want to contact Seattle Public Utilities as well. SPU will need to conduct a site visit to evaluate the proposed project. Here's the link to SPU: Although you can undertake the permit process yourself, you'll no doubt find the entire process to be more onerous and complicated than you expected. At the end of the day, you may be wise to hire a plumbing contractor to handle the entire process for you. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 7, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer