I own a relatively new home...is it true we can appeal our Property Tax assessment to get it lowered?

Asked by Nick, Wayne, PA Tue Oct 7, 2008

I own a relatively new home...is it true we can appeal our Property Tax assessment to get it lowered? What are the chances of the appeal being successful and how much are the fees involved? Thanks

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Howard Urbine, Agent, West Grove, PA
Wed Oct 8, 2008
Hello Nick,

The chances are good if other comparable homes are already taxed lower. I have used an attorney at least 4 times to get taxes lowered on rental properties I own. I could do it myself but didn't want to take the time. The benefit of the attorney is that he only gets paid if he wins and payment is based on the amount he saves. He is not too likely to take a case he cannot win and it costs us 74% of the first years savings. He has always won for us. Don't let doing it youself intimidate you. If you can make the time, besides filling out paperwork and doing your homework, you only get about 5 minutes in the hearing to make your case and out you go. Good luck
1 vote
The Dickerman…, Agent, Exton, PA
Tue Oct 7, 2008
Absolutely!! Typically you have a very specific time frame. In Chester County, I believe the time frame is from May to August. In order to do so, you basically have to present a "case" that your taxes are too high based on other similar properties with lower taxes. If you need help with that, our team helps our clients out with this all the time and would be happy to help you.
If you need help, please contact us by either calling us at 610-363-4383 or email cindy@cindydickerman.com

Good luck Nick!

PS - here is the URL for appealing your taxes in chester county
1 vote
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Oct 9, 2008
Yes you can appeal. You do not need to contact an attorney in most cases. You contact your the assessors office at your city hall. Simply as for a an abatement form. Most places now have the forms on line. Be careful in looking at the time deadlines for them to accept it for this tax year. You need to accompany your appeal with the reaosn why you feel your assessed value is to high and include a brokers price oppinion, an appraisal or listing sheets of similar properties in your area that have either sold for less or are assessed for less. Different assesssors use different criteria for granting an abatement, but you will never know if you dont try. Good luck
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes
Nick, Both Buyer And Seller, Wayne, PA
Thu Oct 9, 2008
Thank you for all the responses!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more