I own a house and I was wondering how I can add my new wife to the deed? Thank you

Asked by Hildy, New York, NY Sat Aug 23, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Daniel Gersh…, Other Pro, New York, NE
Sat Aug 23, 2008
Add the name to the deed and have it recorded with the County Clerk. Any attorney or title company can do it HOWEVER be very careful with the rates they charge. The recording fee is approximately $150 in New York City and the typing takes about 10 minutes so if you're getting charged about $600-$700 for "preparation of recording documents" from your attorney, he/she should thank you for making their next car payment. You really shouldn't be paying more than a few hundred dollars for everything together.
1 vote
Tony Lara, , New York, NY
Tue Mar 1, 2011
That's a great question and if you don't please get life insurance also and estate planning. I suggest you contact Keith Schutzman Esq: keith@schutzmanlaw.net or 212-725-2575, he can assist with deeds & estate planning. If you're looking for life insurance and I have three policies contact John Mansfield of NW Mutual he's at 203-994-3297 covers nyc and new england. Please note I do not receive compensation for any referrals, best of luck.

Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
0 votes
Antolin Du B…, Other Pro, New York, NY
Sat Aug 23, 2008
With a large amount of assets, or a large amount of incoming debt, or kids from a previous marriage/relationship, or all three of the above, you might want to go to a financial planner, spend a little bit of money upfront, but potentially save thousands, countless heartache, and needless exposure to liability.

In other words, adding the new wife to the deed might be the easiest way to go, but maybe not the wisest overall long term. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, but only rush into it in the absence or resolution of these other issues I mentioned above.

Good Luck,
0 votes
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Aug 23, 2008
You should have an attorney, title company or closing company type up a new deed for you and record it at your county registry of deeds. It will be less expensive if you have a copy of your currrent deed or the book and page number. Congratulations on your new wife...
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sat Aug 23, 2008
It really is quite simple, but you need to remember, it MUST BE RECORDED WITH THE COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE. Just adding her is not enough. I can recommend a title company to do it for you or your attorney can hire the title company. Just make sure it is filed!

If you need a title company, contact me off line at Gail@GailGladstone.com
Web Reference:  http://GailGladstone.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more