I'm trying to have the the ownership of a house transferred from my parents (both deceased) to my brother and I (It was legally willed to us).

Asked by dwnjazz12, New City, NY Wed Jan 30, 2013

Can anyone tell me what procedures or forms I would use, I'm trying to do this without a lawyer ( I don't really have a lot of money). I would really appreciate anyhelp I could get

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ellen Kippel, Agent, Suffern, NY
Mon Jun 3, 2013
Hi there,

I hope my fellow realtors have adequately answered your question and that by now you are well on your way to transfering ownership of your parents house to you and your brother. I am a new active Trulia realtor and thought I'd check in to see how you are doing. It is best to use a lawyer to do this even though you say your don't have much money to spend on one. If you have been able to do this on your own, that is wonderful. If not, I have names of some good lawyers who could help you.

If you need any further assistance in either selling or buying real estate, please call me at 914-588-2365.

Take care,
Ellen Kippel
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson NY and NJ
Weichert Realtors
Mutli-Million Dollar Producer
Cell: 914-588-2365
Email: eskippel@aol.com
Website : http://www.dreamhomesrocklandandorangeny.com
Website: http://www.ellensellsrealestate.com
0 votes
Raj Bajaj, Agent, New City, NY
Thu Jan 31, 2013
I would suggest contacting the County Clerk's office, Tax Assessor's Office and if there is a mortgage, contact the bank holding the mortgage. They should be able to guide you with the forms and process to change ownership, tax records and handle future mortgage payments, if any.
0 votes
Maureen McEn…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Wed Jan 30, 2013

I am sorry for your loss. I found this online:

Determine the type of required deed. You must file an executor's deed if your deceased parent filed a will appointing an executor of his estate. You will need to file an administrator's deed if your parent died without filing a will or appointing an executor.

Develop the deed. You can find a sample of both of these deeds online at the document-sharing website, DocStoc.com. There is no cost to access these deeds. It may also be possible to access a state-specific draft of a deed from your state legal code. Some states place the state code online in searchable format. The draft of the deed will include a section for listing the property description. Double-check this description to ensure accuracy. once completed the deed will have to be filed at teh county clerks office. There is a filing fee.

Read more: How to Transfer a Deed From Deceased Parents | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5879576_transfer-deed-deceased-paren…

you will need the death certificates, the existing deed and your parents original will for the transfer.

Good luck. If you are thinking of selling your parents home, I can do a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA), which will give you an idea of the value of the home.
Good Luck
Maureen McEnroe
Licensed Real Estate Broker
Prudential Joyce Realty
914 588 1873
0 votes
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Wed Jan 30, 2013
Of course we don’t know why you want to make the transfer of your interest in the house that was apparently left to you by your parents but it seems like it would be reasonable for your brother to pay whatever the cost is since he is getting the benefit of the transfer.
0 votes
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Wed Jan 30, 2013
Would probably suggest you go down to the Town Hall in New City. If you should need the services of a reasonable Attorney also get in touch with me @ allan.erps@randrealty.com or call me @845-304-3040. Hope all works out well for you both. Regards Allan
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more