I have a rental home in Boise, Idaho and I would like to make it Section 8. How do I do that?

Asked by Jan Brackett, California Thu Aug 28, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Charles Rorive’s answer
Charles Rori…, Agent, Grants Pass, OR
Mon Feb 18, 2013

As already mentioned, most of the section 8 tenants are extremly well versed in Landlord/Tenant law, so make sure that whom ever you use knows there stuff as well.

A couple of things to remember about section 8:
1) Starting contracts are for a minimum of one year, which means that unless the tenants are in serious breach of contract (ie: not paying rent) it is almost impossible to get rid of them during that first year.
2) The property itself will need to be certified every year (by HUD/Section 8) that it passes the maintenance inspection. Any dammages, caused by the tenants, will still have to be fixed in order to get certified.

The advantage to Section 8, is that you can be as restrictive in your screening criteria as you would be with non-section 8 tenants.

The positive is that this can be a good way to get good tenants, if you take the time to screen them properly.
0 votes
River Rock, Other Pro, Boise, ID
Mon Feb 18, 2013
Property managers can offer an arrangement of property management services for your rental property. Typically, property managers find and provide full background screening for prospective tenants, which ensures that a qualified tenant occupies your property. Property managers effectively market and show your rental property, (and at River Rock Property Management these services are all included for a low monthly rate. No additional fees apply.) Property managers provide all lease related documents that comply with state and federal housing laws. Property managers ensure that every aspect of your rental property is also following the HUD guidelines for rental properties and respect fair housing requirements.
0 votes
Jim Paulson, Agent, Boise, ID
Sat Apr 16, 2011
Aaron brings up a great point on selecting the tenant carefully. Keep in mind that in Idaho, property managers are not a licensed profession so make sure you do some research on the property management company too. Make sure they know about Section 8 in detail.
0 votes
Aaron Catt, Agent, Meridian, ID
Wed Oct 15, 2008
Actually, you need to contact the Boise City/Ada County Housing Authority.

I strongly advise you to read their contracts thoroughly before making any commitments. The director, Deanna Watson, is wonderful to work with, some of the voucher recipients however are very difficult. They are generally well versed in Idaho Landlord-Tenant Law and some, not all, will make your life miserable if you don't understand the dynamics of Section 8.

It's a wonderful program that sadly, some beneficiaries have totally abused.
Web Reference:  http://www.bcacha.org/
0 votes
Kristine Haws, , Boise, ID
Thu Aug 28, 2008
I think your best resource would be to contact the Idaho Housing and Finance Commission. The website is below.
Web Reference:  http://www.ihfa.org
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more