How To... in Houston>Question Details

Apurva Sangh…,  in Houston, TX

I have a Single family residence in Houston, and i've been hearing a lot about Assisted LIving Facilities,

Asked by Apurva Sanghavi, Houston, TX Wed Jul 23, 2008

does anyone have any advice on these? how to convert? licenses needed? the good, the bad, the ugly? Thanks a ton!!

Help the community by answering this question:


There are a lot of rules and regulations. They vary by jurisdiction.

In addition to getting the zoning, permits, etc., there's also the issue of dealing with the residents and finding responsible, dependable workers.

Here's what I'd suggest: Investigate the licensing and zoning angles. But also: Get a job at an assisted living facility. See what it's actually like. See what happens and what the residents need. See what the pay's like. See what the relatives and family members are like, and what they expect. Do it for a month or two. See if it's what you're envisioning. Then, if you think you still want to do it, go ahead with all the steps necessary.

Hope that helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 23, 2008
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
You will find that there are not only the restrictions of your HOA but the State, County and City will have different requirements. There is a great demand, Some of your Churches or County assistance offices may be able to answer your questions. Just start surfing the web.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 23, 2008
You have a GREAT question: you would need to check with city regarding those restrictions, HOA, and deed restrictions. They are homes where leased out by a facility with health care providers where seniors live or disable.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 23, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer