I am the first-time home buyer in California. Though I have moved in the condo 1 month now, can I still go

Asked by Don, Richmond, CA Mon Jul 28, 2008

after rebates from my agent's 3% commission? Reason being he didn’t help much in the whole process. I found the place, and he wanted me to show him, then he claimed that he is my agent and got the commission. Throughout the buying process, he didn’t help in negotiation, or even manage to answer any questions I had. I have to find out from other sources. I tried to reason with him about the rebates, but he refused. Ethically, I don't think he deserved that kind of compensation which had eaten into my purchase price. Appreciate your fair opinions and suggestions.

Answers

4
Barbara Wils…, Agent, Danville, CA
Mon Jul 28, 2008
It sounds like you had a bad agent. I think it may be a case of live and learn, and that you should have fired him before you let him write the offer for you. Once you signed the agency agreement, you agreed to let him represent you in the purchase of that property. I think there is little you can do about getting some of his pay for his work, but I would complain to the managing broker at his office, so that he can either be better trained, or not be allowed to so poorly represent the company he is working for.
, ,
Fri Aug 20, 2010
File a complaint with the Ca Dept. of RE.http://www.dre.ca.gov .... Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference:  http://www.umboc.com
Monique & Joe…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Mon Jul 28, 2008
Hello Don,

You may not think that your agent should have gotten the commision but there are a lot of expenses that come up with being an agent. E&O insurance, board fees, MLS fees. For instance about 35-45 percent of my commision goes straight back to expenses. With a good agent the commision that was paid by the seller should have made your deal been a good deal for you. It sounds like you feel that you weren't represented properly. With that being said, next time use another agent. If you wanted commision back because of this it would have needed to been mentioned prior to the close of escrow. There is really nothing you can do now accept learn from your experience. Hope you are enjoying you condo and if anyone suggested that you use this agent perhaps you can let them know about your experience so they know about it also.

Monique
Johnny Huang,…, Agent, Walnut Creek, CA
Mon Jul 28, 2008
Once the deal is closed and no prior "written" agreement on a rebate, then there's not much you can do. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with an agent that was non-responsive, heck that's alot of people's complaint about some agents.