Phyllis, Home Seller in Benicia, CA

I am looking for info to support houses being devalued due to historical standing.

Asked by Phyllis, Benicia, CA Wed Dec 10, 2008

I have a very small home that is designated contributing historical. The plan is under review and I have requested my home be removed (the house has been compromised and stands alone with one other home on the block, with no homes on the previous block). I keep being told my home will be worth more and I have to stay on the list. I don't think my home will be worth more due to restrictions--added fees for permits and added cost of materials, plus the inability to increase home size. I have requested my home be removed, but I'm denied with no reasons. Can anyone support decline in value of homes. This is not a large Victorian. It is a small ranch home (1800 sq. feet 2 stories; 900 sq. feet each; separate entrances). Thank you.

Answers

1
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Dec 10, 2008
Phyllis,

There are two factors that are major contributors to the declining value as we see it today. First and most obvious is the present economic down turn that has been felt by the housing market for nearly three years. With this said, our understanding needs to be that the majority of homes nation wide have decreased in value...this would include historical homes. Which we have been owners of since 1980.

The second factor is one of declining interest in historu in general. During the Bi-Centennial era history was "hot" and the public looked for ways to connect with anything related to the topic of history-antiques, geneology, homes, etc. collecting anything old became nearly a national pastime.

What we have witnessed over the past 10 years is a gradual shift away from history and a fascination with newer, better, and functional.

We feel this is a trend that will once again shift and bring history and historial homes back into the lime light. Historical items will always have appeal and hold their value....provided they are protected and cared for.

The Eckler Team
Michael Saunders & Company
billeckler@michaelsaunders.com
941-408-5363