How to take a name from a property?

Asked by Elizabeth Candel, San Jose, CA Thu Mar 5, 2009

I bought my house with my son for qualification purposes as joint owners. Now I want to take his name out of the property since I am the one paying it and he does not live with me. Thank you very much!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Vinicius Brasil’s answer
Vinicius Bra…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Thu Mar 5, 2009
As a realtor and not a legal expert, I would encourage you to consult with an attorney. However, if its just removing your son off the title you can have him transfer his ownership to you by quit claiming the property. He would sign a quit claim deed and you could record it at the county office of the recorder.

I think if you called the county recorder's office they could tell you exactly the best way to handle this. I'm not sure quit claiming is what they would recommend, since there is family involved there may just be an easy what to transfer ownership entirely to you. The county recorder can let you know of the proceedure and costs involved in getting this done.

Good luck,
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more