1) I think you start with how many people do in business: seek out a referral. Realtors like myself, and others who work with investors will be able to help you a lot on this topic.
2) For example, there is a universal rule almost all investors use on determining whether the price is a "good deal" or "bad deal". I can save you a lot of trouble (and more importantly time) on giving you a ballpark figure on what most investors will want for a price. That is because I work with investors and write offers all the time on homes. It may be hard for you to determine "what is fair" without understanding the mindset of an investor, and why he/she needs to buy the property at a certain price.
I would also tell you what is a "fair deal" between seller and investor, versus them just low-balling you and trying to make a much bigger profit.
3) From there you decide what will give you the highest NET: putting the home on the MLS and selling it "As-Is", or trying to sell direct to an investors. Time is not the issue, because in both scenarios you will get offers relatively fast.
4) In some cases a home is in such disrepair it is considered "un-sellable" or "un-marketable" to the average buyer. This is the point where a home starts to sell under market value, because the general consumer does not have the financial capacity or time to deal with it. I had this happen to my most recent listing in Vadnais Heights, and instead of selling to an investor my seller fixed up the home themselves.
5) But investors or cash buyers tend to be the only buyers on this type of home. In that scenario I don't think a listing agent is needed, because you should not have to pay out a commission. Quite frankly there is no marketing needed if I am being honest with you. I could get 10 different investors over there in 1 week, and all it would take is a simple email since I already have the contacts. A commission is not needed to do that. It hurts your Net, because the investor still needs to pick the home up at a certain price. If the home is priced properly you have no problem finding an investor.
As a Realtor these are the steps and process I go through with a seller like you. It is a free consult and I guarantee you will learn something out of it. Just give me a call or email me to schedule a time I can go over to the home. I have availability this week.
Realtor North/NE suburbs