How do I find out the lien holder on a property that is vacant?

Asked by Joana, Bothell, WA Thu Oct 16, 2008

I am helping my elderly mother in law find a cottage near us. Two doors down there is a good possiblility that has been vacant to a few months. I want to find the owner and make an offer to buy it but would like to know if it is in default before I approach the registered property owner. So far, it isn't showing up on any foreclosure listings. King Co. tax records don't seem to list any info of this nature.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Andrew OC, Home Buyer, 92704
Wed Feb 11, 2015
You can get an online property report within few minutes on website such as or

All you need is the home address to start a search. If the property report is available, you only pay a small fee around $40 to download the information you need. You can also find out the outstanding mortgage, tax status, ownership history, delinquent taxes even liens and foreclosure information...
Web Reference:
2 votes
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Sat Oct 18, 2008
Agents can also get you this information off the tools the NWMLS offers (Realist). As long as you have the address that only takes a second. The thing is, I don't think an agent would just hand over that information to you (nor should they) because of safety/privacy concerns. You're probably a nice person, but an agent wouldn't know that for sure. Therefore, the agent would want to contact the owner directly on your behalf (it wouldn't just be a ploy to represent you--the safety concern is legitimate).

Once you or the agent knows the name of the owner, foreclosure information is available off the King County Recorder's site. You can Google those words to find it or just about any other major county in Washington.

Note, however, that the owner's address might not be updated, so it might not get you the information you're seeking. If there's a forwarding order with the USPS, however, the agent's letter should be forwarded.
0 votes
Diane Kawell, Agent, Federal Way, WA
Fri Oct 17, 2008
Hi Joana - Title companies have this information - If you have not gotten this information yet, please let me know on email to and I would be happy to help you. The service would be complimentary and I'm happy to provide that to help you out. Sincerely, Di
0 votes
I'm looking for properties that are delinquent on their taxes. contact me
Flag Fri Nov 17, 2017
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Oct 16, 2008
you would then need to do a title search as well you could keep checking with the assessors office to see if there is a change in ownership
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
How To... in Bothell Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more