How To... in Long Beach>Question Details

Mary, Renter in Long Beach, CA

How do I evict a roommate in long beach, California? This roommate is not on the lease and pays rent month-to-month.

Asked by Mary, Long Beach, CA Wed Nov 3, 2010

My roommate who moved in a few months ago has since treated the apartment terribly. Her feces has been found all over my bathroom (literally), she doesn't take out the garbage (we've gotten bugs since she moved in).

Help the community by answering this question:


I would try to reason with her. No matter what happens stay respectful and non-emotional.

If that doesn't work then the only way to legally MAKE her move is by eviction. It is costly and time consuming.

The easiest way to move forward would be to either hire an eviction service or an Attorney.

I highly recommend the Nolo book on California land lord law, and the Nolo California eviction books. They can be found very inexpensive online and are very good.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 3, 2010
I agree with Cricket. I would let the landlord be the "bad guy" in this situation. If the roommate is stubborn and difficult, it could take a long time to legally remove her. You do not want an enemy living in your home all that time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 3, 2010
Hi Mary,
I see you are giving her a 30 day notice, which is the correct way to proceed. As some others have mentioned, next time obtain a rental agreement, and get copies of your renter's driver's license and his or her last two pay stubs. I would also run a credit report if you can. If you rent through Westside Rentals, they prescreen all of their renters for you. I feel for you. Wish you the best of luck.

Gene Scott
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 4, 2010
To Sindy Verdugo:
Thank you for your feedback!!! We did not have a reantal agreement since we were supposed to move to a larger place shortly after she moved in. As for turning the utilities off and such, that is highly illegal in the state of California and I am surprised to hear yuo suggest that considering you are an agent. Anyway, thank you ^_^
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 4, 2010

Yuck. I hope that you had a rental agreement when she moved in. I have rented a room in my house and tried to get someone out that did not want to go, not easy. If you have a 30 day month to month agreement, you give her a 30 day notice. If she is late in paying you the rent you can give her a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit (move.)

Pay her off. We call it "Cash for Keys" in the industry. Make her an offer.

You could always: turn off the water, electricity, gas and tell her the house is being termited and the tent is being put on on Thursday. Maybe she will leave. I am not sure how legal that is but..... I must admit, it got my unwanted "pest" out of my house.


This will all come in handy when you take them to small claims court for damages and past rent owed.

Sindy Verdugo
Over 800 Homes SOLD since 1979

RE/MAX College Park Realty
(562) 433-3777
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 4, 2010
To Michael Magaw: No, there is no written agreement since at the time she moved in 5 months ago, we were supposed to find a bigger place together. But I don't want to live anywhere near here and I just don't want to leave my home of 3 years.

to everyone: Thank you for your feedback!!!! I appreciate it! I just talked to an attorney and he told me I can serve a 30-day notice to leave and then see what happens. 2 weeks ago I told her verbally but she kept telling me she can't til January, and gave me the run-around. I can't do it anymore.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 3, 2010
If the landlord will do it...that would be convenient. But I wouldn't count on it as it just isn't in their interests.

As a landlord for the last 13 years I have had tenants come to me with room-mate problems however I never felt that it would be a smart choice to involve there was only really downside risk. I would however remove a tenant from the lease if both parties agreed and I felt that remaining tenants had substantial income and credit or if they had a replacement which filled the same requirements.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 3, 2010
Mary, you are in a tough spot! If you have no legal agreement with her, it might be tough to get rid of her if she doesn't want to go. My advice is to try and find a way to kick her out-- nicely. If worse comes to worse, you might want to enlist the help of your landlord. If she is not on the lease, the landlord can evict for that. Unfortunately, he/she would have the right to evict you as well, depending, of course, on the wording in your lease. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 3, 2010
Hi Mary,

I would recommend that you review the section starting on page 67 (Terminations and Evictions) of the following document for guidance:

Best, Steve
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 3, 2010
Do you have a contract with her for the sub-lease? What agreement do you have with her? She just moved in and may not want to relocate again. If that is correct, then she may not want to cooperate with your plans. And good luck explaining to her your reasons. I would suggest you contact an eviction service and pay them for their expertise.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 3, 2010
I have just recently come across a service which allows you to fill out or edit PDF forms online without having to download any software. I was able to print out my document and even fax it online. Please check this website
I'm sure you will definitely find the service useful and easy to use.
Flag Mon Mar 30, 2015
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer