How can i stop my contract with landlord?

Asked by Ilona, London, OH Thu Feb 19, 2009

I live in the flat since october ,my landlord is so rude,always calling and shouting at me.I did not have heating for 2 it works,but im afraid i cant afford living here anymore and i do not want to.
I found a beautiful room and im moving out anyway next week,landlord said "no" but im still moving and stopping paying rent...or i have to do something else?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


amelia22brown, Home Buyer, London, OH
Thu Dec 13, 2012
Hi Ilona,

Landlords have a legal right of entry to the property for inspection and repairs under the Rent Act 1977 and the Housing Act 1988. However, according to tenant law, you are entitled to something called 'quiet enjoyment' of your property.

Your landlord cannot inspect the premises without giving prior notice, except in an emergency. For more details about rental laws (in the UK), you can read articles on good London Properties websites like , which should help you in legal matters regarding property concerns.
0 votes
Maureen Fran…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Thu Feb 19, 2009

If you signed a lease, you have a contractual obligation to the landlord. If you can't afford it, try to negotiate something with him.

There is probably some kind of tenant landlord assistance center in your area. Contact them to find out what your rights are and see if they can help you. Not having heat for 2 months is a problem.

Good luck.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
How To... in London Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more