How can i get someone to move out of my house? They have been living there for 6 months. It was suppose to be about 2 weeks. They pay nothing and refu

Asked by Niborm, Burlington, IA Sat Jun 26, 2010

Answers

4
Susan B Colu…, Agent, Port Saint Lucie, FL
Sun Jun 27, 2010
Hello Niborm:

Without knowing the laws in the state you are in, and even if I did know them, I would highly suggest speaking to a local attorney in your area that does this type of work. You want to make sure that everything you do is correct and by the book. Especially since you are definately not getting cooperation with this individual, there is no telling what means they may resort to. By seeking legal advise thru a lawyer, you will know you are on sure footing and avoid any potential lawsuits. That is really, really important.
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun Jun 27, 2010
Hi Niborm,

Technically, I believe the person living in your private home is considered a "lodger" and they have the same rights as tenants. However, in the case where there is only ONE lodger, I also believe the owner can evict without formal proceedings. Please reference page 4 of the following document as a start, make sure your situation matches the scenario before taking any steps, and seek legal assistance if you are not completely sure: http://docs.steven-anthony.com/Landlord-TenantGuideCA2010.pdf

Best, Steve
Joe Yobaccio, , San Gabriel, CA
Sat Jun 26, 2010
Is it a rental property or your residence? If it's a rental, then the first answer I read is correct, but if it's your residence, then the rental laws do not apply. You can resort to calling the sheriff or changinig the locks if it's that extreme.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Jun 26, 2010
Unfortanately you may need to evict them. You can google 'landlord tenant laws" for your state and follow them for eviction or will need to use a real estate attorney. the other trick that works is cold cash, offer them cash to leave, it will cut any future losses by speeding up their move out.

good luck working things out
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com