How To... in Miami>Question Details

Michael P. G…,  in Pinecrest, FL

Dress code for male realtors in Miami?

Asked by Michael P. Garcia, Pinecrest, FL Wed Oct 27, 2010

As a professional, I've always believed in a suit and tie. It just seems to have a different effect than shorts and slippers. Lately I've noticed realtors doing jeans, a nice shirt, and some shoes. Is this the new standard for business attire in Miami? Am I "old school" in wanting to wear a tie? Realtors, buyers, and sellers...please help me understand this.

2 votes Share Flag How To... in Miami

Answers

6
O. Kheir’s answer
We sell oceanfront condos at The World's Most Famous Beach, our customers walk around in bathing suits, shorts, T shirts, flip flops ... they can wear what ever they want - I choose to wear khakis and golf shirts for comfort although on hot summer days, I have been tempted to join my customers on the beach in my shorts.

When I was consulting on Wall Street, a suit and tie was "professional attire" - and I am glad to be doing what I love - helping people to buy their dream condo at the beach.

No matter what, you should what something comfortable, a REALTOR with heat stroke can't be of service to their clientele.

Just my humble opinion,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
The answer is in direct relation to the client you are servicing.
In other words, be flexible and go with what's appropriate.
I'm not dressing formal if I'm showing Vacant Land.
I'm not jeaning it if I'm going for a $5mm oceanfront property listing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 27, 2010
Funny that we have three answers from colleagues far away. But good answers nevertheless.

There is a lot of flex here in SE Florida, but I prefer to be rather over- than underdressed. If not for a construction site or possibly vacant lots (and then what type: on Star Island or in West Kendall for a 250 home development?), I don't like wearing jeans at showings and do not care for colleagues wearing them either. On the other hand, in our climate I wear ties practically only at closings. It's your personality, and your choice.

Tobias Kaiser, MS, CIPS
Greater Fort Lauderdale Real Estate Broker + Consultant
Certified International Property Specialist
Director, Realtors Commercial Alliance of Greater Fort Lauderdale
954.561.0066
And by the way, why the double standard? What's good for the goose is good for the gander, no? If suits are the standard for male realtors, they should be for female realtors as well.
I can't speak for men, or for Miami for that matter, but I will tell you I have had great success when I wear jeans and a nice shirt at an initial meeting. Not a listing appointment, mind you, I always wear professional closing to an 'official' meeting, but I find that if I am visiting, for example, a FSBO for the first time, casual clothing breaks down barriers and helps build rapport. I always say, :"Please excuse my appearance, it's actually my day off but I really wanted to see your home." Makes the homeowner feel we already have something in common in the way we dress on 'days off'. Then, when I return for the second, more formal visit, I dress in a suit or something similar. Works like a charm!
It all depends on who you are as a person, the person you are going to work with, and the situation of what your day is like.You must be comfortable within your own skin to be a professional. I live and work in "The Hampton's", the Summer playground for the rich and famous. All summer long I wear very nice shorts, a polo or golf shirt, and clean sneakers. The rest of the year I am in nice jeans or chinos,button down collar shirt and a pair of driving mocs. When I know you,I basically dress the way I know my people dress. There is no defined "Dress Code" in the Hampton's. I also change-up the car I drive when working with a buyer, a seller, or an investor. The buyer gets the Lexus,the seller really does not care what kind of car you drive,and the investor, I go with my Porsche 911 Turbo. You need to adapt to each situation because there are never any two alike. Be sure that you know who you are, and who you are working with.